The selectee will serve as a Senior Information Technology (IT) Specialist,
responsible for analyzing publication workflows including XML, and developing
software application solutions to problems and designing, programming,
documenting and maintaining systems.
* U.S. Citizenship is required.
* Selectees must pass a drug test prior to appointment.
* Selectees must pass a background check prior to appointment.
* Relocation expenses are not authorized.
* Males born after 12/03/59 must be registered for Selective Service
* The selectee is responsible for analyzing publication workflows, some of which are in XML, and developing software application solutions to problems. The four primary areas of responsibilities are (1) Workflow Analysis, (2) Systems Specifications Gathering, (3) Software Development and Testing (4) Software Training, Configuration Management and Documentation and performs the following:
* Analyzes current workflows of Plant processes to include: 1) actual XML workflow used in segments of software or 2) following the flow of a publication and its production jacket throughout the process.
* Analyzes current XML Document Type Definitions (DTDs) and/or XML schemas in order to accomplish necessary changes to publication workflows.
* Performs process mapping where none exist and analyzes weaknesses and repetitions in current established processes.
* Develop abstract systems specifications and then use to produce a final tangible software product.
* Uses knowledge of XML workflows to help identify customers' information systems requirements and analyzes for redundancies and errors.
* Determines feasibility of systems interfacing a variety of automated XML data systems. Designs and conducts analytical studies, cost benefit analyses or other similar research.
* Programs unique solutions to problems based on analysis. Uses extensive knowledge of XML data translation techniques such as XSLT, object oriented programming techniques, and event driven programming techniques to implement systems specification and produce software products to meet plant wide objectives.
* Develops and implements software product release plans. Identifies project documentation requirements or procedures. Ensures appropriate product related training and documentation are developed and made available to software users.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify for this position, you must meet the following requirements:
Possess one (1) year of specialized experience at the PG-12 (or equivalent)
level or higher. Examples of qualifying specialized
experience includes: analyzing and developing XML workflows for different
publications, developing Document Type Definitions (DTDs) and Schemas;
recommending improvements and modifications to batch pagination composition
systems; tests, debugs and documents software; Gathers
software requirements and defines system specifications; translating data
using any of the following: XML, DOM, XSLT 2.0, XQuery and XPATH
For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating
each of the four competencies listed below:
* Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
* Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
* Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
* Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations
TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Merit Promotion applicants must
meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered
eligible. One year of experience at the PG-12 level or
equivalent grade level of federal service is required to qualify for the PG-13
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this
announcement Monday, February 18, 2013.
You will be evaluated on your responses to the assessment questionnaire then
we will compare it against your resume and supporting documentation. If you
rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your
responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for
You will be further evaluated on the following Knowledge, Skills, and
Abilities (KSA) and/or Competencies required for the position:
* Knowledge of XML documents such as ASCII and Unicode Character sets, character encoding mechanisms such as UTF-8, Document Type Definitions (DTDs) and Schemas, XML markup, and validating techniques.
* Ability to apply IT theories, principles, standards, and practices sufficient to develop software user training in support of delivering quality systems and services.
* Knowledge of computer hardware, software and requirements gathering to build software solutions.
* Skill in applying object-oriented programming languages on XML data (e.g. XSLT, Java, Python, C++, C#).
* Ability to effectively communicate orally.
* Ability to effectively communicate in writing.
We DO NOT require a separate narrative statement responding to the Knowledge,
Skills and Abilities (KSAs) and/or competencies, however your resume should
CLEARLY show possession of these competencies.
For Competitive Applicants/All US Citizens - If you meet the qualification
requirements listed above, your application will be rated based on your online
questionnaire and supporting documents. Your application
will be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or
Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for
veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-
veterans. If your final rating places you among the top
candidates, your application will be referred to the selecting official for
For Merit Promotion Applicants - If you meet the qualification requirements
listed above, your application will be rated based on your online
questionnaire and supporting documents. If your final
rating places you among the top candidates, your application will be referred
to the selecting official for further review.
Merit Promotion Eligibility:
This position is open to all U.S. Citizens AND Merit Promotion eligibles (also
known as "status candidates"). When answering the
"Occupational Specialties" section of the occupational questionnaire, you will
be asked to select whether you are applying under "All U.S. Citizens
(Competitive)" or "Status Candidates (Merit Promotion)". If
you do not meet one of the categories below, you should select "All U.S.
Citizens (Competitive)". Please note that Merit Promotion
eligibles may also elect to be considered under "All U.S. Citizens
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6208/