Position # D98558
Job Title Assistant University Librarian for Resource Services and Technology
FTE 1.0 FTE, 12-month, benefits eligible
Posted February 12, 2013
Portland State University, a thriving public university based in downtown
Portland, Oregon, seeks a dynamic, experienced library professional to serve
as Assistant University Librarian for Resource Services and Technology
(AULRST). Comprising eight schools and colleges, Portland State is the largest
academic institution in the Oregon University System and is one of the 100
largest public universities in the nation, enrolling 29,818 students in 99
bachelors, 89 masters, and 38 doctoral programs. Occupying an attractive
central location on the PSU campus, the Branford Price Millar Library is an
exceptional resource to support students and faculty and also an active and
influential member of the Orbis Cascade Alliance, a library consortium of 37
higher education institutions in Oregon and Washington.
The Assistant University Librarian for Resource Services and Technology
(AULRST) position is a full-time, unclassified, unrepresented faculty position
reporting to the Dean of the University Library. The AULRST provides
leadership, vision, planning, budgeting, assessment, and management for
resource services and technology functions within the scope of the Portland
State and Library policies, procedures, and strategic plans. Resource Services
includes six faculty and thirteen additional employees within the
Acquisitions, Cataloging, Preservation, Collection Development, and Electronic
& Continuing Resources units. Library Technologies includes a Manager and five
employees and provides technical support for the Library's staff and to users
of existing systems, plans and implements new and upgraded applications and
digital services, and partners with the Office of Information Technology to
strengthen the Library and campus information technology infrastructure and
access. The AULRST will be responsible for active collaboration, within the
Library and at the campus and consortial level. The AULRST reports to the
Dean, University Library and is a member of the Library's Administrative
Leadership Team, and the AULRST must contribute to the profession through
outstanding professional service and scholarly activities, as well as
supporting library faculty in the promotion and tenure process.
* Supervises and mentors the Resource Services faculty librarians and the Library Technologies Manager, contributing to the evaluation of their performance;
* Plans, justifies, and monitors budgets related to Resource Services and Technologies (RST);
* Continually evaluates and assesses the quality of RST, making suggestions for greater efficiency, cost containment, or service enhancements to meet goals related to educational impact and strategic plans;
* Contributes to the Library's long-range strategic planning, establishing short- and long-range RST goals and objectives, and positioning RST to anticipate and meet the changing needs of library users;
* Participates in broad oversight, decision making, policy development, and alignment of resources for the Library as a member of the Administrative Leadership Team;
* Works positively and productively in a changing environment, providing a supportive work environment for colleagues and a positive role model that demonstrates professionalism, a strong public services commitment, and a willingness to adapt to changes;
* Develops and documents effective policies, procedures, and standards of service;
* Oversees activities related to the assessment and selection of information resources, the management of resources, and operations pertaining to acquisitions, cataloging, preservation, and electronic & continuing resources;
* Collaborates with librarians to build and provide access to collections that are responsive to newly developing technologies and supportive of student learning and research;
* Continually evaluates the cost effectiveness and quality of workflows and systems, making suggestions for greater efficiency, cost containment, or service enhancements;
* Collaborates with members of the Orbis Cascade Alliance, leveraging the shared integrated library system to create innovative workflows;
* Oversees the Library's various information systems operations, including the integrated library system, ILLiad, network wired and wireless infrastructure, servers, and public and staff workstation hardware and software configurations in cooperation with the University's Office of Information Technology and in anticipation of the changing needs of users;
* Oversees upgrades and implementation of new system features;
* Coordinates Library website design and enhancement;
* Represents the Library in coordinating resources services and systems support with the University's Office of Information Technology and other campus units;
* Collaborates with other libraries locally, regionally, and nationally on initiatives related to resource services, information technologies and applications;
* Keeps colleagues fully informed of current issues, opportunities, developments, and accomplishments in the unit and in the broader field of resource services and technology;
* Ensures effective training and professional development of RST faculty and staff;
* Cultivates and maintains strategic relationships with the relevant campus units;
* Participates in development and fund-raising activities for the Library;
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Pursues an active publication and research agenda;
* Meets expectations for faculty scholarship in accordance with the Library and University's promotion, tenure, and post-tenure review guidelines.University Service Activities
* Participates in faculty governance activities within the governance structure of the Portland State Library and the University;
* Contributes to the work of relevant committees and work groups in the Library and the University;
* Supports the mission, goals, and objectives of the University and the Library;
* Supports University and Library development efforts.
Professional Service Activities
* Represents Portland State Library in regional and national resource services and technology arenas;
* Maintains current professional expertise through participation in workshops, classes, professional associations and networks, and through continued awareness of the scholarly literature.
Essential Key Cultural Competencies
* Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates differences;
* Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds;
* Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive setting with a willingness to change for continual improvement;
* Adheres to all of PSU's policies including the policy on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
* MLS/MLIS from an ALA accredited program;
* Record of experience in a resource services or library technologies working unit, successful growth in library management and leadership, and influence in professional associations and collaborative groups, with a least 5 years of successful managerial and supervisory experience equivalent to a department head level or higher;
* Record of scholarly accomplishments and professional service for an appointment as a tenured associate or full professor, or for a tenure-track appointment at assistant professor;
* Sound knowledge of issues and trends in academic libraries and academia;
* Excellent technical, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills;
* Demonstrated planning, organizational, and project management skills;
* Evidence of administrative effectiveness and the ability to work successfully as part of an academic leadership team;
* Demonstrated ability to work positively and productively with diverse constituencies in a rapidly changing environment.
* Experience with methodologies and initiatives for the assessment and improvement of library programs;
* Experience working with new information technologies, with an ability to use technology appropriately and effectively in improving productivity and service delivery;
* Future-oriented, with the ability to anticipate, adapt, and respond to changing needs and priorities and to create powerful outcomes for Library users;
* Experience in effectively marketing products or services to targeted groups or individuals;
* Experience participating in development and fund-raising activities.
Portland State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity
employer, committed to the development of an inclusive and diverse community.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged. Screening of complete
applications will begin immediately and continue until finalists have been
The starting annual salary rate for this position will be competitive, with an
excellent benefits package including comprehensive healthcare; a generous
retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee,
spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon University System schools.
Applicants should send a detailed letter of application, a curriculum vita,
and contact information for five references to Stephanie Doig, Library Office
Manager ([log in to unmask], 503-725-4126).
Electronic submission of applications and correspondence is strongly
preferred. Inquiries and nominations can be submitted to the same e-mail
address. Finalists will be required to provide transcripts and successfully
pass a background check.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6338/