The Margaret Herrick Library of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and
Sciences is hiring a full-time Digital Archive Cataloging librarian:
The Digital Archive Cataloging Librarian will work under the direction of the
Digital Archivist. Primary duties will include data cleanup of existing
records in the Library's Digital Asset Management system and other image
databases and cataloging digital images as they are ingested into the Digital
Asset Management system.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Review work of others and correct cataloging errors and conflicts within the digital asset management system.
* Perform online original descriptive and subject cataloging for photographs and digital images in consultation with Digital Archivist as appropriate, according to in-house guidelines.
* Describe visual content of images and assign controlled vocabulary terms, maintaining accuracy and consistency.
* Update catalog records as necessary.
* Provide digital delivery of images from the Digital Image Gallery to internal and external library users as needed.
* Research and verify name, subject, and other subject headings to conform to appropriate authority files and in-house conventions.
* Handle photographic and archival materials with care, according to in-house guidelines.
Qualifications and Requirements
* A Master's degree in library or information science from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
* Minimum of one year relevant cataloging experience.
* Experience cataloging using an online bibliographic utility applying AACR2 standards and LC classification system subject headings as well as experience cataloging using one or more non-MARC metadata formats
* Experience cataloging in a digital asset management system highly desirable
* Knowledge of film history
* Ability to identify a variety of photographic processes and media
* Understanding of proper handling of photographic and archival materials
* Attention to detail and accuracy with organized and orderly work habits
* Strong communication and problem-solving skills
* Self-motivation and a willingness to work both independently and as a team member
Please send a cover letter and resume to: jobs(at)oscars.org
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6357/