Digital library software engineer at the University of California Curation
Center (UC3) for a one year term, with the possibility for extension. UC3, a
core programs at the California Digital Library (CDL), is one of the world's
premier digital curation programs, is a creative partnership between the CDL,
the ten UC campuses, and the international preservation and curation
communities, provides a wide variety of online services and solutions to
ensure the long-term viability and usability of digital content in support of
the University's research, teaching, learning, and outreach mission.
Reporting to the UC3 development manager, and working with the UC3 team of
managers, analysts, and developers, the incumbent will be responsible for the
full range of agile software development activities: refining functional
requirements from use cases; developing UI and data model designs and
technical specifications; implementation of those specifications; testing and
documenting the resulting codebase; and deployment of operational systems in a
production environment. Candidates will have demonstrated experience and
expertise in developing sophisticated online web services and supporting
technologies, as well as in general software development methodologies and
* Development, review, and revision of project functional requirements, user interface designs, and technical specifications.
* Implementation of project technical specifications resulting in a new version of the DMPTool incorporating new features and functions and meeting all project requirements and deliverables.
* Unit, integration, and regression testing of the service code bases.
* Technical documentation of system architectures, designs, and operational procedures.
* Demonstrated experience and skills in agile development practices applied to high-performance, high-availability mission-critical web services.
* Demonstrated experience and skills in the design and implementation of sophisticated web application user interfaces and underlying database modeling.
* Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication.
* Demonstrated ability to work both collegially and independently, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
* Experience and skills with additional technologies, including Java/J2SE, Apache httpd, Tomcat, Python/Django, C#/.NET, Scala, Hadoop, Solr, Solaris, Windows, Azure cloud.
* Understanding of digital library, preservation, and curation concepts, policies, and best practices.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6065/