Software engineer for a one year development project to
enhance the DMPTool (http://dmptool.org/) service supported by the UC Curation
Center (UC3). The DMPTool is a widely used service that supports University
faculty and researchers in creating data management plans as required by
various governmental and private funding agencies. The development project
will augment the existing tool with a number of new functions and features.
Reporting to the DMPTool project manager, the incumbent will be responsible
for refining functional requirements, UI designs, and technical
specifications; implementation of those specifications; testing and
documenting the resulting codebase; and deployment of the operational system
in a production environment. UC3 employs an agile development methodology
relying on iterative code prototyping, assessment, and refinement.
The DMPTool is a Ruby on Rails web application with a MySQL backend database
and is integrated with LDAP- and Shibbolith-based authentication. It is
deployed in a SLES/SUSE Linux VM environment. Candidates will have
demonstrated experience and expertise in these and related web technologies,
as well as in general software development methodologies and best practices.
The UC Curation Center (UC3, http://www.cdlib.org/uc3) at the California
Digital Library (CDL), an administrative unit of the UC Office of the
President (UCOP). UC3, one of the world's premier digital curation programs,
is a creative partnership between the CDL, the ten UC campuses, and the
international curation community, providing innovative services and solutions
to ensure the long-term usability of the University's digital content.
* Development, review, and revision of project functional requirements, user interface designs, and technical specifications.
* Implementation of project technical specifications resulting in a new version of the DMPTool incorporating new features and functions and meeting all project requirements and deliverables.
* Unit, integration, and regression testing of the DMPTool codebase.
* Technical documentation of DMPTool architecture, design, and operational procedures.
* Demonstrated experience and skills in agile development practices applied to high-performance, high-availability mission-critical web services.
* Demonstrated experience and skills in the design and implementation of sophisticated web application user interfaces and underlying database modeling.
* Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication.
* Ability to work both collegially and independently, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
* Understanding of data management best practices.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6066/