**Data Processing Programmer**
University of Michigan
Digital Library Production Service
The Library Information Technology (LIT) division provides comprehensive
technology support and guidance for the University of Michigan Library system,
including hosting digital library collections, coordinating electronic
publishing initiatives, and supporting traditional library services
(circulation of materials and management of metadata).
The Digital Library Production Service (DLPS), a part of the LIT, is one of
the nation's premier organizations for the creation and support of digital
library resources, with production level support for electronic library
collections. Staff are responsible for creating online access mechanisms,
significant digital conversion activities, and they play a role in the
University of Michigan Library's work on the HathiTrust digital library.
NOTE: This is a 2-year term position with the possibility for renewal.
NOTE: This position target salary range will be dependent on qualifications
and experience of the selected candidate.
DLPS is looking for a talented, resourceful, programmer to process data with
an automated workflow by creating, maintaining, documenting, and monitoring
software systems. Specific processing tasks include file format conversion,
metadata insertion, transformation, validation, and transfer. The person in
this position will use and expand the existing set of tools and workflows for
digital video. Projects include migration of content from one content
management system to another, and the validation and ingest of digital video
for the purposes of preservation.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field and 3 to 5 years of work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated programming skills in a modern programming language
- Proven experience working successfully in groups
- Facility with Linux-based operating systems
- Great analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to creatively improve workflows and processes
- Experience using version control systems in software development
- Demonstrated experience with SGML/XML and related technologies and standards
- Demonstrated experience with database technology such as MySQL, including database design and implementation
- Familiarity with batch file processing techniques on the command line
The University Library mission is to support, enhance, and collaborate in the
instructional, research, and service activities of the faculty, students, and
staff, and contribute to the common good by collecting, organizing,
preserving, communicating, and sharing the record of human knowledge. This
mission is accomplished through the provision of the various collections and
programs available to patrons of the library system.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be
removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting
period has ended.
**U-M EEO/AA Statement**
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
Job Opening ID
Data Processing Programmer
App Programmer/Analyst Inter
Ann Arbor Campus
Ann Arbor, MI
Library Info Tech - DLPS
Posting Begin/End Date
3/15/2013 - 4/05/2013
$50,000.00 - $65,000.00
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6965/