The successful candidate must meet one of the following criteria:
1. Master's degree or higher in library science, or library and information
science from an accredited college or university; OR
2. Valid California Community College Instructor Credential, appropriate to
the subject, per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July 1, 1990), OR
3. A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent
of item 1 above. (Applicants making application on the basis of equivalency
must submit the Supplemental Application for Equivalency Determination form in
addition to all other required materials).
• Minimum of two (2) years recent full-time (or part-time equivalent) post-
graduate experience in an academic library (preferably community college)
planning and managing library automation systems and technical services;
• One year cataloging experience using MARC, AACR2, OCLC; OR
• For recent library school graduates, minimum of three (3) years of full-time
experience in library technical services (cataloging and acquisitions) and
interest in specializing in cataloging and acquisitions.
• Evidence of sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community
Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating a high level of
professional expertise on the basis of:
• Demonstrated knowledge of online database management, the principals of
cataloging, subject analysis, classification, authority control, and
• Demonstrated ability to apply nationally recognized rules and standards
including LC Classification, LCSH, MARC21 and RDA (Resource Description and
• Cataloging experience with OCLC bibliographic utility and an integrated
library system, preferably SirsiDynix.
• Demonstrated experience with digital collection management.
• Demonstrated library instruction experience or training to students and
faculty or staff.
• Experience in making professional presentations will be considered.
• Demonstrated experience in providing reference services to a diverse
• Demonstrated experience in acquisition.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a
diverse community of colleagues and library users.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Community college experience.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages all aspects of technical services workflow, including database
management, planning for future initiatives, proposing technical solutions,
and settling and maintaining standards of database quality and cataloging
• Provides leadership for the library regarding cataloging trends, collection
management, and acquisitions process.
• Teaches information competency workshops.
• Provides traditional and online reference services.
• The librarian in this position participates in cataloging all library
resources, in all formats; coordinates database authority control; keeps
abreast of library technology, cataloging rules and resources, and makes
recommendations as appropriate; coordinates projects related to cataloging and
• Manages the expenditure of library funds and budgets; oversees the
acquisitions process of print and digital resources.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Assignment may include evening and/or weekend hours.
Additional Position Information:
Additional Classification Information:
Contractual Duties and Responsibilities:
Each faculty member shall:
1 - Comply with their individual workload assignments.
2 - Take responsibility for curriculum and program development, updates, and
3 - Read, respond to, evaluate all student work, and report final grades to
Admissions, Records, and Enrollment Services by an announced deadline each
4 - Respond to student academic concerns.
5 - Report all personal absences to the Dean.
6 - Participate in program review and college accreditation processes as
7 - Complete his or her Flex obligation, calculated at 4.2 hours per Flex day
as designated in the Academic Calendar.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/7024/