The Library at Carleton University invites applications from qualified
candidates for the position of
Systems Librarian - Systems Integration and Emerging Technologies. This is a
one year contract
position with possibility of renewal.
Description of Position Details:
Under the direction of the Head of the Systems Department, the incumbent
supports the adoption,
technical integration and management of emerging technologies, automated
systems, networks anddigital developments in the
Library.This position has a significant role in the
planning and implementation of new technologies,
digitalprojects, and service initiatives for a diverse
academic and research community. The incumbent worksin
close collaboration with library colleagues, and other campus administrative
and academicdepartments to develop new systems, and improve
the efficiency and integration of existing systems.Performs
other related duties as required.
Applicants must have anUndergraduate degree plus a Master's degree in Library
and InformationScience from an accredited library school;
In addition, formal coursework and/or in-depth experiencein
information technology, computer science, and software engineering include
technology studies orcomputer science is strongly
preferred.Previous library experience, preferably four
years of professional experience, with emphasis
oninformation technology, systems support, application /
service development and emergingtechnologies.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
• Familiarity with the range of social media and mash up tools (e.g. Chat/IM,
blogs, wikis),eLearning, and open content, and their use in
academic and library contexts.
• Familiarity with linked data, semantic web and related technologies.
• In-depth knowledge and experience necessary to explore, develop, promote,
and assessinnovative online tools, digital initiatives,
emerging web and mobile technologies.
• Familiarity with established standards, and protocols in IT including in-
depth knowledge oflibrary metadata, including harvesting
and repurposing of existing data and digital assets.
• Experience in software and systems implementation; understanding of
requirements settingand use-case development.
• Demonstrated practical experience with databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL
preferred), and web application
• Knowledge of systems and instructional design principles and the ability to
apply thoseprinciples to software implementation and
• Technologically competent with creative problem solving skills, attentive to
detail, curious,flexible, strong analytical skills and the
ability to work independently.
• Advanced skills in development for mobile technologies and web programming
would be anasset.
• Demonstrated willingness to collaborate and share expertise, ability to work
in teams andnegotiate solutions with diverse groups. Proven
ability to take initiative and communicategoals and
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/7444/