Job Posting # 2013-18 Job Type: Union Full-time
Hour: 35 hours per week on average Number of opening:1
Salary: $58,450 to $65,676 per annum Grade: 6C
Posting Date: April 15, 2013 Closing Date: April 22, 2013 by 4:30 p.m.
Applications are now being received for the above position in the
Administration Centre with Markham Public Library.
Vision for the Position
The Systems Librarian provides support for the library's IT systems,
particularly the Symphony ILS. He/she works with MPL's Virtual Services team,
public and technical services, and administration to determine the system's IT
requirements and liaises with the City of Markham's IT department to ensure
that the system's IT infrastructure is maintained appropriately. He/she is
responsible for the library's API programming and for maintaining other
technology solutions. He/she supports customers with advanced troubleshooting
and liaises with IT to resolve related issues impacting customer service
The Systems Librarian is capable of advanced problem-solving and creative
thinking. He/she has a solid understanding of the library's technology
requirements, both internally and as a service provider to customers. The
Systems Librarian is adept at managing competing, urgent priorities and can
effectively work towards service improvement solutions.
1. Provides troubleshooting for ILS related system and technical issues. This
includes SirsiDynix Symphony, BiblioCommons, Online Database Federated Search
Interface, eBook Services, data networks and access authentication management.
2. Performs system back-ups. Monitors system performance and takes action to
Technical Support and Implementation
3. Participates in evaluating and testing new software and hardware, IT
applications, and implementing new IT projects.
4. Assists with the implementation of service improvement initiatives through
5. Serves as the automation coordinator for various library
projects. Develops, implements, maintains and revises
policies and procedures related to library systems.
6. Provides internal support to MPL staff on issues related to systems and IT
software/hardware. Provides assistance on an ad hoc basis through internal
reporting processes, and provides structured support as required through
formal and informal training and instruction to staff.
7. Develops Application Programming Interface (API) code to customize and
enhance the performance and functionality of the library's Symphony ILS. Works
with library staff to determine customizations based on customer needs and
8. Participates in committee work, both internally and externally as it
relates to their role at MPL.
9. Assists in other departments, including Service Delivery, as required.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. An ALA-accredited master's degree in Library and Information Science.
Background education in computer science including software
engineering/information systems, is strongly preferred.
2. A minimum 3 years experience in Integrated Library System administration
3. Knowledge of scripting languages necessary to SirsiDynix and other library
software (e.g. Perl, C/C++, Oracle, Java, Python, PHP, etc)
4. Experience with relational database queries and presentations in Windows
Server 2003 and UNIX environments.
5. Experience troubleshooting computer software, hardware, network and browser
problems is preferred.
6. Ability to effectively manage multiple projects concurrently.
7. Demonstrated ability to work independently or in a team environment in a
lead or participatory role.
8. Effective communication skills, including the ability to communicate with
staff with a wide range of technical abilities.
Serves Internal Customers Effectively
Ensures Attention to Detail
Builds Knowledge and Competence
Manages Multiple Priorities
Please note that Markham Public Library is open 7 days per week, and regular
weekend work is required. Employees hired after December
20, 2004 have a work week that extends from Monday to Sundays.
All interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and covering letter
indicating how they meet the qualifications of the position to:
Markham Public Library
6031 Highway 7
Fax# (905) 471-6015
E-mail:[log in to unmask]
Please quote the job posting # 2013-18 on the subject line when applying by
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for
an interview will be contacted.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/7484/