Job Title Digitization Support Technician
Location Doha, QA
Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development is a
private, chartered, nonprofit organization, founded in 1995 by His Highness
Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Emir of Qatar. Guided by the principle that
a nation's greatest resource is the potential of its people, Qatar Foundation
aims to develop that potential through a network of centers devoted to
progressive education, research and community welfare.
This position will provide experience in the field of Library and its
digitization projects. QNL gets various requests to digitize important
resources for archiving and preservation purposes. The digitization technician
is responsible for digitizing these items (scan, process, OCR and create
structural metadata). Some digitized items are used for the World Digital
Library partnership and will also be used for the QF/BL Gulf History Project.
* Scan rare manuscripts, books, maps, newspapers, magazines, photos and microfilms using specialized Scanners as per standards defined by the library.
* Performs image processing on the scanned images such as Colour curve correction, Resolution setting, Image compression settings, image format setting, deskewing, noise removal, etc.
* Visually check the quality of the digitized images by inspecting the colour accuracy, cropping, skewing, toning, legibility, rotation, file format, resolution, sequence and completeness of pages, contrast, brightness etc.
* Perform Optical Character Recognition over the digital images, proofread the OCR output to check the accuracy of the OCR output, correct OCR and create fonts if required.
* Calibrates the scanners and monitors periodically using project predefined techniques.
* Create Structural metadata for digitized items. To assist with other digitization projects and other tasks as assigned
* Handle digitizing items with utmost care to prevent damage during digitization.
* Keep abreast of developments, trends and issues in areas of responsibility
* Participate in team work and committees as needed
* Perform miscellaneous duties and conduct special projects as assigned
* Familiarize, understand and implement QF health, safety, and environment policy, procedures, legal regulations and objectives applicable to areas of responsibility.
* Ensures coordination with HSE department in implementing, monitoring and reviewing of HSE performance to ensure work under his/her control is performed in a safe, healthy and environmentally sound manner.
This position includes, but is not limited to, other duties as required and
defined by the scope, purpose, and spirit of the institution and are not
always indicative of the title and grade of the position
* Bachelors Degree in Science or Technology.
* Minimum 1 year experience working in a professional digitization laboratory digitizing rare manuscripts, books, maps, etc.
* Basic understanding of Color Management, Image Processing and Image formats.
* Familiarity with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office.
* Knowledge in Digitization process and Digitization Workflow management.
* Experience working with specialized book scanners such as Zeutschel, Microbox, I2S, Atiz, etc.
* Experience using image processing tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Scanfix,
To view the complete announcement and apply, visit the [Qatar Foundation
Career Page](http://archivesgig.livejournal.com/data/atom) and search for
Source: [University of Toronto
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/8104/