The Digital Collections Specialist digitizes materials for Furman faculty,
staff, administrators, and other partners for use in teaching, research,
exhibition, preservation and inclusion in the Furman Digital Collections. The
Digital Collections Specialist oversees a cadre of student assistants, assists
in the preparation of metadata for the digitized assets and interacts with
faculty, staff and students regarding details about specific digitization
projects. Major areas of expertise include: digitization, metadata assignment,
video, audio, and image editing.
* Digitizes print, images, and audio/video formats using scanners, digital cameras, and other digital conversion technology.
* Works with the Manager of the Digital collections Center to organize and process incoming materials for digitization, and follows security archival handling procedures for materials while being scanned.
* Crops, edits, and manipulates digitized assets according to specifications using media editing software such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Final Cut Pro, Audacity, etc.
* Makes text based documents machine readable with optical character recognition (OCR)software and converts text based documents to PDF and/or Book Reader Objects for accessibility.
* Creates and enters metadata for digital materials being included in the Luna Insight digital asset management system.
* Hires, trains, and supervises student assistants in the scanning and editing of materials.
* Conducts quality control on work produced by the student assistants and digitization partners to ensure digitization and metadata standards are met.
* Confers with faculty on the status and development of their projects as appropriate.
* Maintains current knowledge of digitization standards and practices, by training, attending conferences/workshops, and reading relevant materials.
* Completes performance review process with supervisor to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree with 2+ years of relevant experience
* Experience with relevant operating systems and software
* Mac OS X and Windows operating systems;
* Photoshop, Lightroom or other image editing software;
* iMovie, Final Cut, or other video editing software;
* Audacity or other audio editing software;
* Microsoft Office
* Experience with digitization equipment:
* Scanners including flatbed, sheet-fed, and/or overhead;
* Photography and/or video equipment;
* Video and/or audio conversion equipment;
* Knowledge of cataloging or metadata standards and applications
* Willingness to learn about emerging digitization technologies
* Experience with library specific systems
* Knowledge of library operations
* Experience with Luna Insight software
Some light lifting may be required.
Work is performed in an office environment; may be required to interact with
university faculty and staff in their own offices and at different departments
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9218/