The Outreach & Electronic Resources Librarian is responsible for understanding
and meeting the State Library's users' information needs through regular in-
person and virtual outreach. Information resources made available by the State
Library are primarily electronic; this librarian is responsible for increasing
and improving the experience of using electronic resources offered by the
Library Information Services program at the Montana State Library. The
librarian applies his or her skills and creativity to build and maintain
relationships with State Library users in order to better understand their
information needs and, as a member of the Library Information Services team
and within available resources, works to align the library's growing variety
of electronic resources to meet users' identified needs, and to maintain user
access to these services, and systems infrastructure. Successful candidates
will demonstrate their experience performing duties similar to those described
Application materials required initially for this position include the
1.) Signed and completed State of Montana Employment
Application. If not submitting online, the application may be found at
2.) Also required is a cover letter that
• Describes the applicant's work experience initiating, attending and
introducing oneself at regular in-person and virtual meetings with library
users to become familiar with their current information sources, perceived
information gaps, and actual information needs.
• Describes in appropriate detail the applicant's level of expertise stemming
from work and/or personal use of social media tools.
• Describes a work or personal experiences indicating outstanding oral,
written, and interpersonal skills.
Applications must be received by July 28, 2013 to be considered for the first
round of screenings. If a suitable candidate is found in that screening, no
further consideration will be made of applications received after that date.
Interviews are tentatively planned for the week of August 5.
Please note that MSL is not able to sponsor a visa at this time so all
candidates must be eligible to work in the United States when they apply.
• Initiate, attend and introduce oneself at regular in-person and virtual
meetings with state employees and Montana librarians to become familiar with
their current information sources, perceived information gaps, and actual
information needs. Coordinate participation in these meetings with the State
Publications Librarian in order to further the aims of the state publications
• As part of outreach, create with other staff in-person and online
presentations (live and/or recorded) that maximize and communicate the value
of the library's electronic resources and services.
• Responsible for understanding and using all library discovery tools,
catalogs, databases and registering for all library services in order to gain
the perspective of library users. Use this perspective to create and provide
instruction on use of library resources and services.
• Use social media for outreach, reputation management, and conducting
information needs assessment in accordance with MSL policies on employee use
of social media.
• Coordinate with other LIS staff the testing, purchase, use, management,
renewal, and cancellation of single-library electronic resources. Activities
include conducting product trials, trouble-shooting technical issues,
resolving authentication issues, customizing user interfaces, publicizing
resources, gathering statistics and feedback and making recommendations to the
LIS manager for the maintenance or discontinuation of resources.
• Work with other staff to design, implement, and document efficient
workflows, policies, standards, goals and procedures to ensure effective and
efficient discovery, access, and delivery of electronic resources.
• Participate in assessment methods including usage, usability, and value in
order to continuously improve library services.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Work experience in electronic resource management, selection, acquisition,
access, and trouble-shooting.
• Work experience with these or similar library software: EBSCOhost, EBSCOnet,
SirsiDynix integrated library system.
• Work experience with OpenURL linking technologies and authentication
• Knowledge of current and emerging technologies and practices in electronic
• Outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Able and willing to exercise professional judgment with collegiality,
flexibility, and accuracy.
• Able and willing to learn new applications.
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office applications use of social
media and use of web content management systems.
• Experience with SirsiDynix integrated library system currently used by MSL.
Master's degree in Library Science (MLS) from an American Library Association
accredited library school. A post-graduate degree in a related discipline may
be substituted for an MLS.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/8952/