The Minnesota Historical Society (MHS) seeks an Archival Processing Assistant
to support the work of the professional archival catalogers in all six
relevant collections holding areas: manuscripts, government
records, photographs, sound & moving image materials; and on occasion books
and 3D objects, ensuring that the shifting demands in the several holding
areas are addressed efficiently and quickly. This is a
full-time, project position (2,088 annual hours) located at the History Center
in St. Paul, MN and working through June 30, 2015. Renewal
is dependent upon available funding and program need.
**SUMMARY OF WORK**
Responsibilities include: 1) organizes and arranges
acquisitions of manuscripts, government records, photos, sound and moving
image media, and occasionally other materials so that collections will be
accessible and usable; 2) prepares content lists and accompanying narrative
descriptions, or integrates content information into existing finding aids,
and helps manage digital files; and 3) creates and manages digital content as
directed by professional catalogers.
* High school diploma plus two years experience or formalized training within a professional discipline OR a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in history, American studies or a related field plus one year program experience or equivalent.
* One year experience in archival processing or digitization projects.
* Strong technical knowledge of digital imaging practices, standards, techniques, and procedures.
* Basic knowledge of archival appraisal and processing, archival cataloging standards, and encoded archival description (EAD).
* Experience working with XML applications.
* Demonstrated ability to create accurate descriptive metadata.
* Demonstrated ability to write and edit descriptive narratives.
* Ability to handle old and sometimes fragile materials carefully.
* Physical ability to lift and maneuver collection storage containers weighing 40 pounds.
* Physical tolerance to dust and inactive mold spores.
* Knowledge of MHS collections.
* Knowledge of Minnesota history.
**SALARY**: $2,856.00 monthly minimum
**APPLICATION DEADLINE**: Applications must be received or post-marked no later than July 12, 2013.
**TO APPLY**: Send an MHS application, cover letter, and resume to: Minnesota Historical Society, Human Resources Department, #1049 Archival Processing Assistant position, 345 Kellogg Blvd W, St Paul, MN 55102-1906. To be considered an applicant, you must submit all requested application materials. If not complete, your application materials will not be accepted and your materials will be returned. If submitting materials for more than one position, provide an MHS application, cover letter and resume for each position. Applicants who are offered employment will be subject to passing a background check as a condition of employment. For an application, see our website at www.mnhs.org/about/jobs or call MHS Job Line 651-259-3181. EEO
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/8886/