Collaboration and the free flow of information are critical to CERN's success
in achieving its scientific goals, which is why CERN is spearheading the Open
Access movement with partners across the scientific community, the publishing
industry and libraries worldwide. The CERN Open Access Section is looking for
a talented and inspired Web-Services Developer to connect people and science
through our Open Access initiatives. If you are interested in combining your
skills in web-based development with your interest in world-class digital
libraries, this is the opportunity for you. Take Part!
Open Access to scientific results accelerates science and is a core mission of
CERN Scientific Information Service. The Service manages the Sponsoring
Consortium for Publishing in Particle Physics (SCOAP3): a partnership of
libraries and funding agencies worldwide which, with scientific publishers,
aims to convert key journals in the field of High-Energy Physics to Open
Access, for everyone to read and freely re-use scientific results. The Service
also supports CERN authors to make their publications Open Access, either in
direct contact with publishers, or through a network of linked repositories
such as CDS (cds.cern.ch), INSPIRE (inspirehep.net), and arXiv (arXiv.org).
You will join:
* The General Infrastructure Services Department, which provides and supports the infrastructure and technical and administrative services of the Organisation.
* The Scientific Information Service Group, which manages CERN's library as well as historical and scientific archives.
* The Open Access Section, which supports and implements CERN Open Access vision.
Web-Services Developer in the General Infrastructure Services Department (GS),
Scientific Information Service Group (SIS), Open Access Section (OA).
As a Web-Services Developer and Digital-Libraries Operator in the Open Access
Section, you will contribute to the implementation and operation of web-based
services in support of the CERN scientific community to help authors fully
record, leverage and disseminate their Open Access publications. In particular
* Implement and operate an Open Access repository to ingest articles published under the SCOAP3 initiative, based on CERN Invenio digital library technology (invenio-software.org); and ensure interoperability with other platforms by SCOAP3 partners;
* Build services to link Open Access publications and metadata across relevant web platforms, according to the license under which such material is released;
* Integrate, throughout CERN Open Access services, relevant external information, products and services such as: CrossRef and DataCite DOIs, ORCID identifiers, FundRef information, CreativeCommon licenses.
Bachelor in the field of computer science, software engineering, or
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications: In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
**Experience and competencies**
The experience required for this post is:
* Demonstrated experience in the maintenance, development or operation of advanced information systems.
* Experience within a LAMP environment (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Python) and version control systems, preferably in open source projects.
* Familiarity with common formats and protocols in digital libraries such as MARC21, OAI-PMH, RDF, XML,XSLT as well as a basic understanding of scholarly communication (authors, publishers, manuscripts, persistent identifiers, Open Access, licenses, repositories) would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
* Programming/Software development.
* Requirements definition and management.
* Database/Repository design.
The behavioural competencies you will need to demonstrate for this post are:
* Working in Teams: Building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
* Achieving Results: Driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
* Demonstrating Accountability: Taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
* Communicating Effectively: Delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
The language competencies required are:
* Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, and a willingess to learn the other language.
**Eligibility and closing date**
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and
central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States
irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should
normally reach us no later than 02/09/2013.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position
it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update
your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the
recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
**Note on Employment Conditions**
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration
contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may be
granted an indefinite contract.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9182/