Drexel University Libraries seek a creative and energetic Web Developer to
design, develop, and implement effective web sites, interfaces, and tools to
enhance and improve the Libraries' Drupal website.
The successful candidate will have primary responsibility for Drupal site-
building, theming, maintenance and creating Drupal templates using HTML 5/CSS
according to design specifications. Utilizing Drupal technologies like custom
content-types and views, and researching, configuring and customizing Drupal
modules as needed. This position will also be required to complete other web
tasks as needed, including cross-browser and device testing and developing
responsive versions of websites.
Reporting to the Manager, Discovery Systems, the Library Web Developer works
closely with web oversight team and a team of content editors to maintain
accurate and relevant content across Libraries locations and departments. This
includes but is not limited to responsibility for site design, personalization
and user portals, intranets, mobile frameworks, data collection forms and
* Bachelor's degree in Information or Computer Sciences or a related field.
* Three years relevant work experience.
* In-depth knowledge of Drupal site-building, theming, and coding modules. A working knowledge of Photoshop, and strong knowledge of PSD to HTML integration. Demonstrated ability to create and adapt custom Drupal modules.
* Proficiency with standard web development utilizing HTML/XHTML, CSS, and related technologies.
* Proven Drupal development skills, including evaluation and implementation of modules, and execution of Drupal administrative duties.
* Fluency with UNIX and command-line interfaces, including some light server maintenance and monitoring.
* Demonstrated ability to utilize user centered design methodology, usability principles, and information architecture best practices and principles in designing sites and applications.
* Ability to prioritize and work flexibly in a multiple project environment.
* Sound judgment and the ability to handle responsibilities with both discretion and independence.
* Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
* Motivated, professional, collaborative/team player comfortable leading as well as executing, and taking constructive input from multiple sources.
* Master's degree and experience in an academic and/or library environment
* Familiarity with relational database design and ability to create SQL queries.
* Working knowledge of XML and related technologies (XSLT, Xpath, Xquery)
* Ability to program/script in multiple languages.
* Working knowledge of Apache, Tomcat & other delivery servers.
* Linux familiarity.
* Experience with Postgres, Oracle, or MySQL.
* Experience with a version-control system such as Git or Subversion.
* Maintain and upgrade Drupal content management system. Design, code, and implement custom solutions to extend the functionality of Drupal platform and other library applications.
* Train appropriate library staff in use, maintenance, and general principles.
* Utilize best practices in information architecture, user centric design methodology, and usability principles to create an effective user experience.
* Develop user interface, visual, and interaction design specifications for website standards and application interfaces. Create and document style guides and templates to maintain standards. Communicate and document design rationale.
* Work with key Libraries staff to plan, develop, maintain and improve the usability and usefulness of the Libraries' web sites and applications. Participate in designing and evaluating user testing. Implement automated user analytics collection. Analyze analytics and relevant usability testing data to inform design decisions.
* Research, recommend and implement systems and tools to extend and enhance the libraries' user experience.
* Collaborate with library systems and library staff, and other campus constituents on relevant technology planning and agendas.
* Stay abreast of developments in coding, CMS, usability, and other relevant fields.
**Supplemental Posting Information**
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is
especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the
diversity and excellence of our academic community.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of
employment, after the job offer is made. Employment will be contingent upon
the University's acceptance of the results of the background investigation
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9029/