The University of Kansas Libraries seeks a knowledgeable, energetic and
innovative individual to provide leadership and guidance to the University of
Kansas Libraries and the campus community on the development, analysis and
application of metadata schemes. The
Metadata Librarian serves as the Libraries' primary resource for non-MARC
metadata design, structure and standards.
This position is a 12 month tenure track faculty appointment with rank of
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Information Technology and Discovery
Services, the Metadata Librarian is a member of the Metadata, Data, and
Discovery Services department. The
Metadata Librarian is oversees projects, workflow design and training
involving metadata and use of metadata in digital repositories and other
discovery systems . She/he works closely
with colleagues in the Cataloging Department, the Distinctive Collections
division and the Research and Learning division to support the discovery of
and access to the Libraries' digital content through metadata creation,
analysis, enrichment, and maintenance in accordance with local and national
cataloging and metadata standards. The Metadata Librarian is expected to provide
consultation services for faculty on metadata and data in support of digital
scholarship to enhance research, teaching, and learning at the University of
**For more information and to apply, visit [http://www.employment.ku.edu/](http://www.employment.ku.edu/) and select "Search Faculty Jobs".** **Applications deadline Aug 4, 2013. Estimated starting date Oct 27, 2013.**
80% Professional Responsibilities
* Works to expand staff expertise andexperience in the application of non-MARC metadata, developing trainingmaterials and providing instruction and documentation.
* Participates in the development,evaluation, and implementation of metadata policies, goals and procedures.
* Provides expertise andmanagement relating to metadata production for description, access,administration and preservation of digital materials acquired or held by theLibrary.
* Serves as functional manager for the KU Libraries digital repositories,including responsibility for overall organization of content, and acts as aliaison in supporting and training for users.
* Collaborates with internal and external partners in theselection, design, and adaptation of metadata schema, controlled vocabularies,and data dictionaries.
* Creates, reviews, and edits metadatafor digital collections and assists in the development and application ofmetadata crosswalks and data conversion routines.
* Assists with analysis and conversionof existing data into standard metadata formats.
* Collaborates with local, national, and international partners onresearch to advance the use of appropriate metadata use for digital libraryservices.
* Contributes to the profession's collective knowledge by engaging in scholarly research activity. Research may involve the publication of articles, books, book reviews, grant-supported inquiry, or editorial work.
* Engages in service to the Libraries, the University and to professional organizations by participating in committee work, projects, and other contributory achievements.
* ALA-accredited MLS by date of appointment.
* 2 years of academic/research library experience working with standard metadata formats (e.g., MARC, EAD, TEI, VRA Core, METS, MODS, PREMIS, etc.).
* Excellence in written communication as demonstrated by quality of application materials.
* A commitment to strong customer service within and outside the libraries as demonstrated by quality of application materials as demonstrated by quality of application materials.
Open Rank: Rank considerations are based on professional performance,
research, and service experience sufficient to qualify for appointment at the
rank of Assistant Librarian, Associate Librarian, or Librarian. See Discipline
Expectations for additional details:
* Knowledge of and interest in current issues, trends, and emerging standards in cataloging and metadata
* Familiarity with XML, XSLT, and tools for transforming metadata.
* Experience using DSpace or other digital library or repository systems.
* Experience converting databases (e.g., Access, FileMaker Pro, etc.,) into standard metadata formats.
* Excellent organizational skills with aptitude for complex, analytical and detailed work.
* Excellent oral communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse constituents.
* Ability to work independently and as a team member in a dynamic environment and on a variety of simultaneous projects.
* Working knowledge of the use of cataloging principles, and an understanding of controlled vocabularies, taxonomies, and ontologies.
* Ability to provide effective individual and group training.
* Demonstrated initiative in investigating new ideas and implementing change.
* Engagement in national/international standards and professional organizations related to metadata.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/8888/