6 month position with potential renewal
The Henry Madden Library seeks a creative and energetic web developer to
design, develop, and implement effective websites, interfaces, and tools to
enhance and improve the Library's web presence. This position has a six-month
fixed term with possible reappointment.
Reporting to the Head of the Digital Services Division, the library web
developer works closely, either remotely or in person, with the Web Innovation
Team and a team of content editors to maintain accurate and relevant content
across library websites. This includes but is not limited to responsibility
for site design, user portals, intranets, mobile frameworks, data collection
forms, and analytics.
The successful candidate will have primary responsibility for website
building, design, maintenance, and creation of websites and templates using
HTML 5/CSS according to design specifications. This position will also be
required to complete other web tasks as needed, including cross browser
compatibility device testing, 508 compliance testing, and mobile website
• Experience with website design, evaluation, and maintenance
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field
• Demonstrated expertise utilizing graphic design in web projects
• Demonstrated proficiency with standards-driven web development utilizing
HTML/XML, CSS, and related technologies
• Working knowledge of Apache, Tomcat or other web server software
• Demonstrated ability to utilize user-centered design methodology, usability
principles, and information architecture best practices and principles in
designing websites and applications.
• Ability to prioritize and work flexibly in a multiple project environment
• Sound judgment and the ability to handle responsibilities with discretion
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills
• Motivated, professional, collaborative team player, comfortable with leading
and executing projects but who is also able to receive constructive input from
• Relevant experience with library website design, evaluation, and maintenance
• Proven ability to program/script in multiple languages
• Familiarity with relational database design and ability to create SQL
• Working knowledge of XML and related technologies such as XSLT, XPath, and
• Demonstrated proficiency with one or more technologies commonly used in
digital projects such as database design and development, XML and coding, GIS,
data visualization, etc…
• Fluency with UNIX and command-line interfaces, including some light server
maintenance and monitoring.
• Experience with PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MySQL
• Experience with a version control system such as Git.
• Experience with integrating GIS information into web pages.
Maintain and upgrade web content management system. Design, code, and
implement solutions to extend the functionality of the web platform and other
library applications. Train appropriate library personnel in maintenance of
web content. Utilize best practices in information architecture, user centered
design methodology, and usability principles. Develop
visual and interaction design specifications for website standards and
application interfaces. Create and document style guides, templates and design
rationale. Research, recommend, and implement systems and tools to extend and
enhance library users' experience. Collaborate with Digital
Services Division, other library personnel, and other campus constituents.
Review analytics and relevant usability testing data to inform design
decisions. Other work as assigned.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9830/