The Wolfsonian is a public museum and research center in Miami Beach, FL which
became part of Florida International University in 1997.
The collection is unique, vast, and varied. It includes an amazing array of
materials from postcards to paintings, from Art Nouveau vases to World War II
propaganda. In its scope and range, it is among the most important collections
in the world of the visual and material culture of the modern era (between
1885 and 1945). The collection addresses issues of mass politics, mass
communication, technological change, war, ideology, ethnic and national
identity, urbanism, globalization, and many other phenomena that remain
critical to understanding today's world. It encompasses a very wide range of
objects, including works on paper (posters, prints, design drawings),
paintings, sculpture, furniture, glassware, metal tableware, ceramics,
lighting, household appliances, textiles, and medallic art, as well as rare
books, journals, and ephemera. Some of these items may be found at
The Wolfsonian is seeking a well-rounded web developer with good
organizational skills to build the tools needed for the expanding use of
digital technology and new media in our mission.
* Conducts front- and back-end web development, maintenance, design consistency, and seamless operation for Drupal CMS, in collaboration with internal and external designers, developers, and clients.
* Serves as the technical lead for Drupal CMS code; provides solutions to functional and technical problems.
* Identifies and executes UI improvements and enhancements based on a variety of departmental needs, including the development of new and customization of existing applications for exhibitions, programs, education, and research projects.
* Creates and manages development and support procedures, tools, and documentation, including scope documents, technical support standards, and training options.
* Maintains a strong relationship with the FIU Division of IT its subgroups, ensuring service and support as well as influencing policy.
* Ensures compliance with university wide privacy and web related policies; assures that application software, database software, and operating systems are at current revision levels.
* Provides archiving and backup systems support including automated backup systems, and assists network troubleshooting as appropriate.
* Analyzes and reports visitor statistics to various stakeholders based on their need.
* Supervises interns and contract services, and the work of consulting designers and developers.
Master's degree in MIS, Computer Science or appropriate specialization; or
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS or other appropriate specialization
and two years of experience.
* Three years minimum experience with Drupal CMS.
* Three years minimum experience with HTML/XHTML, CSS, and XML - working knowledge of XSLT.
* Two years minimum Web programming experience, including PHP and ASP.
* Two years minimum experience working with relational database systems such as MySQL, MSSQL or Oracle and a good working knowledge of SQL.
* Development experience using extensible web authoring tools and programming frameworks such as JQuery, Zend, Rails, Django, and/or other AJAX-compliant services.
* Significant experience working in LAMP and WIMP stacks and tuning webservers for maximum efficiency and security.
* Familiarity with an object-oriented programming language such as Ruby, Python, or Java is highly desirable.
* Excellent visual design skills, particularly in regards to typography.
* Experience developing and implementing open source software projects.
* Demonstrated familiarity and comfort working in UNIX/Linux, Windows, and MAC OS operating systems, related software, and basic system administration utilities including encryption and security standards.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9667/