The Academy is both a museum and a vibrant research institution focused on
systematic biology and environmental sciences, with a staff of over 150. The
institution's Archives reflect more than two centuries of scientific activity
around the world and contain a broad range of materials including
correspondence, field notebooks, collection records, photographs, films,
drawings, paintings, unpublished manuscripts and important historical
documents. The Archives are frequently called upon by researchers from inside
and outside of the institution for use in books, scholarly articles,
exhibitions, films, lectures and for other scholarly and commercial purposes.
The Archivist works as a part of a small, collegial professional staff at the
Academy. The affiliation with Drexel University provides an additional
academic community of students and professionals. Ongoing activities at the
museum and the University, including public lectures, seminars, workshops,
conferences and exhibitions, provide a stimulating work environment and
frequent opportunities for continuing education.
* Master's degree from an American Library Association accredited library school with an archives emphasis and/or an advanced degree in history or related subject area with relevant experience in archives and manuscripts.
* At least 2 years experience processing archival collections, including extensive and complex collections of manuscripts and other special collections materials.
* Demonstrated experience developing processing plans and creating finding aids.
* Demonstrated records management experience including digital records management procedures and policies.
* Demonstrated familiarity with MARC and Encoded Archival Description (EAD) and familiarity with other national standards for archival description.
* Demonstrated knowledge of archives management technology and access systems.
* Excellent organizational, problem solving, communication and outreach skills.
* Ability to lift 40-lb boxes, to work on ladders and in locations with dust.
* Academy of Certified Archivists (ACA) Accreditation.
* Experience with non-print formats.
* Experience in managing electronic records through the archival life cycle.
* Familiarity with some or all of the following: Archivists Toolkit, DACS, METS, MODS, ContentDM or other digital asset management/repository systems.
* Practical experience in the record-keeping of natural history institutions and natural history collections.
* Demonstrated experience with contributions to successful grant-writing.
* Appraises, accessions, arranges and describes manuscripts and archival materials according to contemporary archival principles and standards.
* Establishes processing priorities, processing plans, and policy standards for the arrangement and description of collections.
* Evaluates requests for access to materials from the archives. Schedules appointments, assists and supervises researchers. Oversees and facilitates loans of archival materials. Answers reference questions relating to the archives.
* Evaluates and processes requests for reproduction of materials held by the archives.
* Develops and maintains electronic databases, indexes and finding aids. Tracks the use of the archives, and provides annual statistics.
* Participates in the Academy Library and Archives team and collaborates with Drexel University Libraries.
* Plans, supervises, and suggests uses of the Archives budget.
* Assists staff in institutional exhibit programs and publications. Provides tours for Institutional Advancement Department.
* Trains and supervises co-op and work study students.
* Develops grant support in conjunction with the Institutional Advancement Department.
* Assesses conservation and preservation needs and rehouses collections and individual items as needed.
* Participates in local and national professional organizations and consortia.
* Monitors archival and records management trends and developments.
Supplemental Posting Information Background investigations are required for
all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made.
Employment will be contingent upon the University's acceptance of the results
of the background investigation.
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is especially interested in
qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our
For the complete announcement, enter "archivist" in the keyword search at the
[Drexel career page](https://www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9453/