American Public University System (APUS) is a for-profit, higher learning
institution, offering online undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate
programs through its institutions, American Military University and American
Public University. APUS is regionally accredited and serves more than 60,000
adult learners who are studying from 100 countries. APUS is a wholly-owned
subsidiary of American Public Education, Inc. (NASDAQ:APEI)
The Vice President, Dean of Libraries (Dean) leads and supervises library and
course materials operations and personnel. The library is acknowledged as a
University center of excellence that sits at the forefront of for-profit
online education. The position involves the entrepreneurial leadership and
development of a cutting-edge virtual library, electronic course materials,
and ePress; and includes the management of remote and onsite staff. Dean is an
active member of the Provost's Council and is responsible for expertise in
such areas as Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 508, copyright,
information literacy, and development and selection of learning resources
including remedial resources. Dean collaborates University-wide to support
American Public University System (APUS) goals of student success, faculty
research, academic and curricular excellence, and participates in
institutional initiatives related to APUS strategic goals and priorities. The
incumbent contributes to the enhancement of the University's academic
reputation through innovation, scholarship, and building the institutional
library and an institutional heritage.
* Manages and enhances the Online Library as an industry leader in support of APUS' mission and in keeping with professional standards.
* Orchestrates the availability of cost-effective, high quality electronic materials tuned to the University's curriculum, ranging from resources in the library and open Web to those from textbook publishers and our own ePress.
* Recruits, hires, and manages remote professional Librarians along with staffing for electronic course materials, ePress, and library operations at University headquarters.
* Supports the University as an expert resource for ADA 508, copyright, information literacy, peer-reviewed resources, tutorial services, and other areas in support of academic excellence and student success.
* Works with Deans and Program Directors, staff, and students to contribute to APUS goal of academic excellence and to support the enhancement and development of the reputation of APUS.
* Contributes to the professional and scholarly literature on academic libraries as part of the development of online higher education.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Leadership and management capabilities of people and of the library.
* High level of critical evaluation skills across multiple media and platforms.
* Advanced understanding of the Web and its applications for academic libraries.
* Capable of conducting successful major negotiations with vendors and potential partners.
* Team player.
* Advanced knowledge of library marketplace and online services.
* Demonstrable knowledge of copyright law and ADA 508.
* Knowledge of electronic publishing methods and marketplace.
* Ability to communicate effectively with Deans, Programs Directors, faculty, students, alumni, and the rest of the APUS community along with external vendors and professional bodies.
* Managerial skills for remote professionals and onsite staff.
* Understanding of automation and Web applications.
* Entrepreneurial mindset and negotiation skills.
* Master's degree in Library and Information Science or related discipline required.
* Subject matter or related doctorate required.
* Minimum of 10 years' experience in higher education. Experience in online education and distance library services preferred.
* APUS offers a great working environment and competitive benefits package including: 401K, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, and education benefits!
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9385/