Dates: September 1, 2013 to May 30, 2014
Compensation: $5,000 stipend
About the Collection:
The Barnard College Archives photographs collection is approximately 80 linear
feet and is comprised of prints, negatives, and slides documenting the history
of the College. Themes and subjects in the collection include student life,
activism, the evolution of Barnard's campus, faculty and administration, and
Barnard College events.
In 2006, a survey of the collection was completed detailing the collection's
system of organization, yet access to the collection remains difficult. It is
hoped that the Barnard College Archives Fellow will assist the archivists in
providing a clearer path to facilitating access and use of this collection.
About the Position:
Working under the supervision of the College Archivist and the Digital
Archivist, the Photograph Collections Fellow will survey, arrange, and
describe the Barnard College Archives photograph collection.
This fellowship will provide hands-on experience processing a large archival
collection of photographs. The Fellow will be required to survey the
collection, work alongside the archivists to make collection recommendations,
and arrange and describe the collection materials. The Fellow may also carry
out basic preservation procedures and identify materials for digitization.
Additionally, the Fellow may assist with performing historical research and
reference to both on-site and remote researchers, may assist in creating an
exhibition or other creative work celebrating Barnard's Centennial, may attend
department meetings and events throughout the Columbia University Libraries
System, may participate in library instruction sessions, and may participate
in other activities within the Barnard College Library.
* Must be currently enrolled in a graduate-level program in archival management.
* Must be available to work weekdays.
* Must make commitment to complete 300 hours (or, on average, 10 hours of work a week with time off for Winter and Spring vacation) between September 1, 2013 and May 30, 2014.
* Knowledge of archival descriptive standards including EAD and DACS is a plus. Applicants must demonstrate that they have excellent organizational, research, and communication skills. They should have a Barnarstrong attention to detail and the ability to work independently.
* Must have completed an introductory course in archival principles and practices.
* Preference will be given to applicants who have successfully completed at least nine graduate semester hours (or the equivalent) applied toward an advanced degree in archives or library and information science.
* Photography experience, or experience working with visual resource collections is a plus.
* The Barnard College Archives highly encourages applicants from under-represented communities to apply.
* Send a cover letter, resume, and two references to Shannon O'Neill, College Archivist, soneill(at)barnard.edu
* Applications must be received by: August 12, 2013. Note: Campus housing will not be made available to the successful candidate.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9333/