NYU Division of Libraries is developing a unit to provide digital scholarship
and publishing services for our faculty and graduate students. The Digital
Scholarship Specialist will join that unit to provide client service,
technical expertise, training, and support for tools and practices that are
used by faculty and researchers engaged with digital scholarship and
publishing, with a particular focus on the digital humanities. The Digital
Scholarship and Publishing Services team works collaboratively with staff
throughout NYU Libraries and NYU Information Technology Services, including
the Digital Studio, Data Services, Digital Library Technology Services,
Libraries subject specialists, and NYU Abu Dhabi Library.
This position reports to the Librarian for Digital Scholarship Initiatives and
will also work under the guidance of the Program Officer for Digital Scholarly
Our mission is to provide engaging, responsive, and human-centered services
connecting the global NYU community to the resources they need for digital
scholarship and publishing. In support of that mission, the Digital
Scholarship Specialist will work with the team to:
* Provide customer service for digital publishing, possibly including WordPress, Omeka, ARTstor/Shared Shelf, Open Journal Systems, Scalar, etc.
* Act as primary service contact for NYU's DSpace institutional repository, the Faculty Digital Archive.
* Advise on metadata creation related to publishing and repository services.
* Help scholars use common digital humanities tools and methods, such as text scanning, OCR, and text analysis; data visualization; audio and video production; etc.
* Advise clients on website development, including content production, website architecture, hosting platforms, content migration, etc.
* Provide training in digital scholarship tools and methods.
* Provide client service in the Digital Studio.
* Manage projects to deploy new tools and services.
* Evaluate user needs and service gaps; test new tools, platforms, and software with an eye to potential deployment at NYU; stay current on tools, trends, and methods to enhance services.
* Participate in outreach and promotional events, maintain our web presence for digital scholarship services, using social media, etc.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and 3 years relevant experience in an academic environment
supporting digital scholarship, technologies & methods, information technology
and training, digital publishing, repository services, or related fields as
well as experience using repository tools (DSpace, Fedora, etc), publishing
platforms (WordPress, Omeka, etc) and html/css. Must include: excellent
interpersonal and communication skills; client service and orientation skills;
project management skills; knowledge of digital scholarly technologies and
methods; experience supporting information technology and training; experience
with or knowledge of the digital humanities; willingness to undertake
Priority will be given to candidates with experience in the following areas:
* repository tools (e.g., DSpace, Fedora)
* teaching in an academic setting
* common publishing platforms such as WordPress, Omeka, etc.
* project management
* methods of the digital humanities
Preferred Education and Experience:
* Master's degree strongly preferred.
* knowledge of Open Journal Systems
* metadata use in libraries or digital humanities contexts
* tools and techniques such as OCR, Photoshop, media digitization (imaging, audio, video)
* experience with or knowledge of social media and tools for outreach
Application and resume must include a cover letter that reflects how your
experience fits the position description.
For more information about working at NYU and to apply, visit our website at:
www.nyucareers.com/applicants/Central?quickfind=57177. Click on search
positions and then search by position title.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9356/