The Digital Public Library of America (http://dp.la) seeks a Director of
Technology to lead its digital infrastructure and technology staff, and to
further DPLA's mission to bring together the riches of America's libraries,
archives, and museums, and make them freely available to all. A belief in this
mission and the drive to accomplish it over time in a collaborative spirit
both within and beyond the organization is essential.
The Director of Technology will be responsible for the overall technology
vision for the DPLA. As an early-stage organization, we expect substantial
growth, including in unexpected areas. The Director of Technology must be able
to plan and map this future, creating new initiatives as necessary in
consultation with the DPLA team. The Director of Technology will report to the
**The Director of Technology will:**
* Orchestrate the design, implementation, and improvement of DPLA's digital infrastructure, including cloud-based servers and storage.
* Control all aspects of DPLA's user-facing applications and back-end systems.
* Design and implement improvements to DPLA's API.
* Act as the primary technical contact for outside organizations, partners, and developers.
* Support the philosophy of open source, shared, and community-built tools, scripts, and technologies.
* Be conversant and comfortable with digital library technologies and engage cultural heritage communities and consortial efforts.
* Manage the in-house technical staff, and work with external contractors as necessary.
* Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team environment and the ability to interact effectively with stakeholders.
* Strong knowledge of Semantic Web and linked data concepts and technologies.
* Strong knowledge of library practices and data formats, including XML, OAI-PMH, MODS, MARC, Dublin Core.
* Considerable knowledge of the methods and tools used in electronic data processing.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
* Demonstrated desire to learn new toolsets and programming languages.
* Working knowledge of version control systems.
* Like its collection, the DPLA is strongly committed to diversity in all of its forms. We provide a full set of benefits, including health care, life and disability insurance, and a retirement account. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The DPLA's central office is in the Boston Public Library, in Copley Square in
the heart of Boston, Massachusetts. Ideally the Director of Technology will be
located in the Boston area (and if not currently local willing to relocate),
although remote employment will be considered.
Applications for the position will be reviewed beginning on September 9, 2013,
and will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send a letter of
interest, a resume/cv, and contact information for three references to
[log in to unmask] Questions about the position may also be directed to that address.
**About the DPLA**
The Digital Public Library of America strives to contain the full breadth of
human expression, from the written word, to works of art and culture, to
records of America's heritage, to the efforts and data of science. Since
launching in April 2013, it has aggregated over 4 million items from over 600
institutions. The DPLA is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9748/