Join our growing technical team! The UIC Library is looking for a
Senior Developer to help us implement our internal digital asset
management system, build out existing repositories and publishing
systems, and lead the design and development of our discovery systems.
You'll also help build a new system to preserve, present and promote
the history and culture of the Chicago region
(http://chicagocollectionsconsortium.org/). Live, work and play in one
of the world's great cities and join us at UIC, ranked 52nd in
federally financed R&D. If you're an experienced Python or Java
developer, see the full position details and apply at
https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=33498. Be sure to
copy details from your resume into the online application form.
If you have questions about this position, contact me at [log in to unmask]
AUL for Information Technology and Associate Dean
UIC University Library
Position description excerpts:
The University Library seeks an Information Technology Technical
Associate (Senior Digital Library Applications Developer) to design
information, research and storage systems to support the Library's
goal of providing quality resources and expertise to students, faculty
and staff. The Senior Digital Library Applications
Developer will act
as project manager in designing or modifying information systems.
This position reports to the Assistant University Librarian for
knowledge of web application development and data
modeling, including skills in Web application frameworks (Django, Ruby
databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle), and using database query tools.
knowledge of software development using Python or Java
3. Any combination
totaling two years from the following categories:
progressively more responsible work
college course work in Information Technology
(IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by
the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
* 60 semester
hours or Associate's Degree
equals one year
semester hours or Bachelor's
Degree equals two years.
1. Works with Assistant University Librarian for IT in
prioritizing projects that will be completed.
2. Meets and negotiates with stakeholders (faculty, students,
staff) to understand their needs and build information systems that
improve access to Library resources.
3. Leads teams in the design of new systems and projects to
modify existing systems.
4. Designs, develops, tests, integrates, supports, and
user-facing applications and back-end systems.
5. Designs and develops complex databases for the storage of
research data and reports.
6. Integrates Library information into other campus
7. Maintains knowledge of emerging technologies to support
Library's evolving virtual services.
8. Perform other related duties and participate in special
projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (computer science, information science, or closely
related field preferred).
- Advanced degree in computer or information science, or ALA-
accredited MLS is preferred.
- A minimum of 4 years experience in software development using Python
or Java and in developing applications that interact with MySQL,
- A minimum of 2 years experience designing and administering
relational databases built in MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, or Oracle
and maintaining systems to manage and transform data in multiple
- Experience working with LAMP or variant environments.
- Experience with HTML5/CSS3.
- Experience with DSpace, Solr, and/or Fedora.
- Knowledge of information technology accessibility issues and techniques.
- Knowledge of Semantic Web and Linked Data concepts and technologies.
- Experience or coursework in user testing/user evaluation.
- Knowledge of library practices and data formats (MARC, EAD, Dublin
Core, METS, MODS, etc.).
- Experience working in the context of a software development methodology.
- Experience with standard software development tools and techniques
(e.g., git, testing frameworks).
- Demonstrated experience in project management or team leading.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team environment
and the ability to interact effectively with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to support to a user-centered service in a
research-intensive, fast-paced, culturally diverse higher education
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/9833/