The position has professional responsibilities in librarianship, scholarship,
and service. Responsibilities in librarianship focus on developing and
maintaining the discovery engine used to find library resources; activities in
cataloging, classification, and metadata creation for library resources;
participating in production of archival digital collections and microfilm
preservation; guiding the selection and use of metadata schemas, controlled
vocabularies, and data dictionaries to facilitate use of digital collections
and institutional repository as these develop; and communicating and
consulting with others about the organization, description, and discovery of
Responsibilities in librarianship include, but may not be limited to, the
* Leads in developing discovery tools for library resources; partners with others to build digital archival collections and repository.
* Consults and communicates with varied constituencies in the library, the university, and Orbis Cascade Alliance library partners about the organization, description, and discovery of library and information resources.
* Develops metadata/cataloging policies and workflows for library resources: tangible materials, electronic resources, digitized collections, objects in the institutional repository, etc.
* Performs and oversees cataloging, metadata, and classification activities, including coordinating with other library functions, with consortial and university library systems staff, and with other cataloging/metadata staff.
* Responsible for identifying, batchloading, and integrating records from multiple sources, in MARC and non-MARC metadata schema.
* Participates in development of the library's discovery service (currently WorldCat Local, will become Ex Libris Primo).
* Coordinates shared or distributed cataloging and metadata activities with other Orbis Cascade Alliance libraries.
* Participates in digital asset management at JFK Library, and identifies opportunities for collaboration in digitization initiatives. Participates in current digitization projects and planning for future ones. Leads in developing policies and procedures for metadata for digital assets and digitized collections.
* Guides and collaborates on the selection and use of metadata schemas, controlled vocabularies, data dictionaries, etc., to provide access to digital collections and to a centralized or distributed institutional repository as these develop.
* First-line supervision of staff working on cataloging, metadata, and digital collection production.
* Participates in library committees and working groups. Collaborates with colleagues and clients across the university and the library's regional consortium.
Applications will be accepted through 11/30/2013; screening of initial
applications will begin 11/18/2013. All materials will be held in strictest
confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/10484/