University Archives and Special Collections (UASC) is comprised of two
distinct collections--the official archives of the University, in multiple
formats, and some 30 distinctive special collections in a variety of different
Reporting to the Dean of Libraries, the University Archivist and Special
Collections Librarian position provides leadership within the department in
accordance with the Libraries' goals and strategic planning; facilitates
communication about UASC within the University Libraries, throughout the
University community, and to the general public of current and potential
This is a tenure-track library Associate Professor faculty
position. Applicants must hold a master's degree from an
ALA accredited school of library/ information science, preferably with a
concentration in archives or some advanced training in archives, manuscripts,
and special collections. A second post-baccalaureate degree
or similar proof of advanced study is required for tenure.
The successful candidate will also have 3-5 years of significant experience in
an archives or special collections environment, including at least three years
of supervisory and budgetary responsibilities, as well as a broad
understanding of archival related activities in an academic research library
* Coordinates all aspects of Special Collections & Archives operations, including the ongoing acquisition of relevant material; preservation, conservation and management of collections; maintenance of intellectual control; and development of access and usage policies appropriate to both physical and virtual collections.
* Provides overall supervisory oversight of staff, including full-time and part-time librarians/archivists, an administrative assistant, and student employees.
* Oversees the formulation and periodic review of collection development and materials selection policies and profiles; oversees policies relating to the use of both collections..
* Oversees specialized collection management functions, including the handling of gift materials, selection and de-selection collection processes, identification of potential conservation and preservation materials in the general collection, and collection analysis.
* Maintains a strategic development plan that will encompass growth and enhancement of the library's physical and digital collections documenting the history and functions of the university.
* Monitors resources within the department, including faculty/staff, budget, equipment, space and physical facilities.
* Works collaboratively with the staff to set priorities, create strategic plans and documentation, and meet project deadlines.
* Fosters communication and collegiality within the department and with other departments in the library.
* Collaborates with Adelphi faculty and staff and all divisions of the Libraries to develop digital collections, including both digitized and born-digital resources; establish digitization priorities for print and audiovisual collections; and ensure that digitization projects are successfully completed.
* Supports a high level of public service and dedication to the Libraries' mission within the department.
* Promotes the use of primary resources within university courses and research.
* Cultivates relationships with donors and prospective donors of unique special collections and archival materials.
* Collaborates with department faculty/staff and library leadership to identify potential grant and funding sources, prepare required applications, and manage funded projects.
* Works closely with department faculty/staff to develop programs and exhibits that will promote collections and contribute to the mission and vision of the Libraries and the University.
* Collection development and liaison responsibilities for one or more schools or departments.
* Participation in the Libraries' information literacy program.
* Provision of services at Swirbul Library's main reference desk including occasional evenings and weekends.
* Service on University and Library committees.
* Active participation in professional associations and activities.
* Active participation in scholarly activities including research and publishing, as required for reappointment and tenure.
* Knowledge of standards-based archival description and metadata schema, such as EAD, XML, MODS, and Dublin Core
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* The ability to work effectively in a collegial environment
* Evidence of ability to meet criteria for promotion and tenure
* Experience with digitization projects, archival database management systems, and website construction.
Other desirable qualifications include:
* Familiarity with ContentDM and Archivist's Toolkit
* Experience with records retention policies and schedules, exhibits, and writing grant proposals
* Familiarity with basic preservation and conservation standards for archival and rare books collections
* Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, and implement effective programs, complex projects, and services.
Screening of applications will begin in December but applications will be
accepted until the position is filled. Position available
immediately. Submit letter of application, curriculum
vitae, and names and addresses of three references online at:
ADELPHI UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/10355/