Scientific Data Management Specialist
The Brown University Library invites applications for the position of
Scientific Data Management Specialist. As the Library's
primary liaison for scientific data management services, the Scientific Data
Management Specialist initiates outreach to science faculty and departmental
staff to understand and facilitate data collection, data curation and data
reuse as part of the research processes. Ensuring
compliance with established data management protocols and best practices, the
Scientific Data Management Specialist will assist with and contribute to the
development of data management plans for funded projects and will assist
researchers in preparing data for publication, reporting, and
dissemination. S/he will work closely with research staff,
faculty and library staff to collect, prepare, and ingest data sets into the
appropriate institutional or disciplinary repositories.
The successful candidate will maintain a strong awareness of issues related to
data management and curation requirements, data sharing, copyright, open
access, and repositories. To fulfill these responsibilities successfully, the
Scientific Data Management Specialist will have relevant experience with
funded research, data management, and scholarly communication, with a
preference for someone with a strong academic background in the sciences.
* Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in data management/curation, including metadata, data retrieval, reporting, and data reuse.
* 3-5 years experience in relevant research data management or curation
* Familiarity and experience with current federal data management and reporting requirements.
* Advanced degree in data curation, science, or related disciplines.
* An understanding of the scientific research process as demonstrated by academic or work experience.
* Understanding of the purpose and scope of institutional and disciplinary repositories and familiarity with one or more institutional or disciplinary repositories (e.g. Fedora, NCBI, ICPSR)
* Ability to acquire new technological skills & resolve problems in a resourceful and timely manner.
* Evidence of the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; strong analytical and organizational skills; ability to manage time and multiple projects in a complex, changing environment with a positive, flexible, creative and innovative attitude.
* Familiarity with one or more current scientific data and metadata conventions preferred.
* Experience working with structured data, such as RDMS, XML, or delimited data preferred.
To apply for this position (Job # B01525), please visit Brown's Online
Employment website (https://careers.brown.edu), complete an application
online, attach documents, and submit for immediate
consideration. Documents should include cover letter,
resume, and the names and e-mail addresses of three
references. Review of applications will continue until the
position is filled.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/10641/