Software Engineering Manager, Intota Team
As a Software Engineering Manager at Serials Solutions/
ProQuest you will be an integral part of a highly focused team responsible for
designing, maintaining, supporting, and developing multi-tiered applications
that enable content operations and vendors to efficiently manage, provide, and
use their e-resources.
As a member of the Technology Leadership team, you will provide strategic
input into the direction of technology services at the company. You will
directly influence our technical direction in the areas of systems
architecture, application design and development, software development
process, budgeting, development technology. Additionally, you will have
responsibility for hiring and mentoring the developers and technical staff you
manage. We are seeking an individual who lives and breathes our core values of
collaboration, empowerment, accountability, customer focus, passion, and
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Directly manages a group of 8-20 leads, software developers, UI developers,
contractors, and database engineers.
• Oversee multiple modules and systems utilizing a diverse range of
technologies and frameworks.
• Build the product on an architectural platform consisting of Java, SQL
Server, Solr and Lucene, as well as other technologies as appropriate.
• Develops and drives technology-related initiatives and project plans that
support short and long-term objectives of the organization.
• Coordinates and drives the business relationship with key internal partners.
• Hire, manage, and mentor the development team and contractors.
• Evaluate external advancements in the industry to improve the user
experience, increase efficiency, reduce operating expenses, and maximize
• Serves as a subject matter expert on technology and general architectural
• Significant experience managing several, concurrent, large, mission critical
projects and applications in various languages, especially Java.
• Demonstrated ability to code in Java and TSQL and be able to guide
• Experience with complete and comprehensive system re-architectures
• Deep experience with Agile development practices, including Scrum, XP, and
• Demonstrated ability to hire, manage, mentor, and develop staff members.
• Deep understanding of technology project management and ability to create
roadmaps, lead, and deliver on multiple complex projects of strategic
• Experience managing and maintaining legacy systems while concurrently
developing new systems, platforms, and technologies.
• Ability to think strategically and act tactically.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to listen and evaluate
all opinions without bias
• Experience working effectively in a team environment as a strong
• Strong analytical skills and exceptional problem-solving skills
• Ability to independently manage multiple priorities.
• Strong influencing skills and the ability to interface internally and
externally to ensure successful, high-quality outcomes.
• Broad experience with various open source technologies, including experience
NoSQL, Hadoop, HBase, Solr, Lucene, as well as other various Apache Software
Qualifications listed below, while not necessarily a requirement for this
position in each circumstance, provide additional depth and value to the role.
• Bachelors' degree plus 8-10 years' related experience, or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
• At least 5 years' experience hiring, leading, motivating, evaluating, and
developing technical professionals.
• Experience managing projects of strategic significance.
Other important information about this position:
• This position is typically based in the Seattle office and may be
appropriate for full or partial remote work, subject to approval.
• Occasional travel is required.
• This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some
scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to
make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to
perform essential duties when possible.
The preceding job description is not intended to describe in detail the
multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general
overview of the expectations and responsibilities of this position. As the
nature of business demands change, so may the functions of this position.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/10822/