** Please excuse any cross-posting **
The Temple University Libraries are seeking a creative and energetic
individual to fill the position of Digital Library Applications Developer.
Temple’s federated library system serves an urban research university with
over 1,800 full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is among the
most diverse in the nation. For more information about Temple and
Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu.
Reporting to the Senior Digital Library Applications Developer and working
closely with others in the Digital Library Initiatives Department, help
develop and maintain the technological infrastructure for Temple
University’s digital library initiatives and services, which includes
preserving and delivering large collections of digital objects, and
supporting digital humanities and scholarly communication initiatives
throughout the Library. Under the guidance of supervisor, architect,
implement, test and deploy new tools and services primarily based on open
source project software, such as Omeka, Fedora Commons, Hydra, and Open
Journal Systems (OJS), potentially contributing code to those projects.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
* BS in Computer Science or related field, or an equivalent combination of
education and experience.
Required Skills and Abilities
* Demonstrated experience with application development in at least one
major programming language such as Ruby on Rails, PHP, or Java
* Demonstrated experience with MySQL or other database management systems.
* Demonstrated knowledge of the LAMP stack or similar technology stacks.
* Demonstrated ability to perform effective code testing.
* Experience with project requirements gathering.
* Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to
work in a collaborative team-based environment, and to communicate well
with IT and non-IT staff. Commitment to responsive and innovative service.
* Demonstrated ability to write clear documentation.
* Experience with a repository system such as Fedora/Hydra,
Fedora/Islandora, or Dspace.
* Familiarity with a Content Management System like Drupal or an exhibit
curation system like Omeka would be a plus.
* Experience working with Open Source software; experience with version
control, test-driven development, and continuous integration techniques.
* Experience with QA testing of web applications.
* Experience with Linux/Unix operating systems, including scripting and
* Experience working with authentication and authorization protocols,
* Knowledge of XML/XSLT.
* Familiarity with digital library standards, such as Dublin Core, MARC,
METS, EAD, and OAI-PMH.
To apply for this position, please visit
http://www.temple.edu/hr/departments/employment/jobs_within.htm, click on
"Non-Employees Only," and search for job number TU-17222. For full
consideration, please submit your completed electronic application, along
with a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin
immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with
a strong commitment to cultural diversity.
Katherine Lynch, Senior Digital Library Applications Developer
Temple University Library (http://library.temple.edu)
Samuel L. Paley Library, Room 113, 1210 Polett Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19122
Tel: 215-204-2821 | Fax: 215-204-5201 | Email: [log in to unmask]