Assistant Dean for Collections & Digital Initiatives
Ohio University Libraries seeks a proactive and dynamic Assistant Dean for
Collections & Digital Initiatives. The successful candidate must be
comfortable in a fast-paced atmosphere, energized by an exciting future, and
be able to engage our stakeholders and provide leadership and strategy for the
management and development of collections and digital initiatives.
As a part of the senior management team, the Assistant Dean reports to the
Dean of Libraries and works closely with the Assistant Dean for Research and
Education on the development and evaluation of programs, staff, budget and
other resources in support of the Libraries' mission. He or she works
effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds,
including nine librarians and 20 support staff in acquisitions, cataloging,
circulation, digital initiatives, and preservation.
The Assistant Dean for Collections and Digital Initiatives has excellent
communication skills and clearly articulates collection development strategy.
She or he establishes relationships and builds upon existing partnerships
across the University and with OhioLINK and other library consortia in the
selection, acquisition, description, and discovery of collections. She or he
works closely with subject librarians to ensure that the scope and caliber of
the Libraries' collections meet the teaching and research needs of the
multiple constituencies of the Ohio University community in a cost-efficient
The Assistant Dean for Collections and Digital Initiatives collaborates with
the Assistant Dean for Research and Education, the subject librarians and
archivists, and the Libraries' department heads for the advancement of digital
initiatives, leveraging Ohio University Libraries' significant special
collections and anticipating the requirements of born-digital collections. He
or she provides leadership in the development of a strategic, scalable, and
sustainable digitization program that builds new partnerships across diverse
interdisciplinary audiences and further integrates the Libraries into the
teaching, learning and research activities of the University community.
* Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program (or equivalent program) required by the time of application.
* At least five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in one or more related areas in an academic or research library;
* Proven success in project management that includes planning, developing, and evaluating programs and supervising personnel;
* Experience with the evaluation and assessment of library resources;
* Knowledge of current and emerging information technologies, publishing practices, and scholarly communication trends;
* Excellent communication skills;
* Demonstrated commitment to data-informed decision making.
* Additional advanced degree;
* Familiarity with library digital initiatives particularly within the humanities;
* Commitment to diversity and creativity in hiring and managing staff.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/10621/