Digital Technologies Development Librarian
Florida International University
Florida International University is a comprehensive university offering 340
majors in 188 degree programs in 23 colleges and schools, with innovative
bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs across all disciplines including
medicine, public health, law, journalism, hospitality, and architecture. FIU
is Carnegie-designated as both a research university with high research
activity and a community-engaged university. Located in the heart of the
dynamic south Florida urban region, our multiple campuses serve over 50,000
students, placing FIU among the ten largest universities in the nation. Our
annual research expenditures in excess of $100 million and our deep commitment
to engagement have made FIU the go-to solutions center for issues ranging from
local to global. FIU leads the nation in granting bachelor's degrees,
including in the STEM fields, to minority students and is first in awarding
STEM master's degrees to Hispanics. Our students, faculty, and staff reflect
Miami's diverse population, earning FIU the designation of Hispanic-Serving
Institution. At FIU, we are proud to be 'Worlds Ahead'! For more information
about FIU, visit fiu.edu.
Digital Technologies Development Librarian, Florida International University
The Steven & Dorothea Green Library at Florida International University seeks
an enthusiastic, innovative, collaborative, and user-oriented librarian for
the position of Digital Technologies Development Librarian.
This is a new position charged with providing technical leadership for the
development, design, configuration, and timely maintenance of the Libraries'
website with a focus on Public Services. This individual will also be
responsible for updating digital signage information and other Public Services
web-based projects as assigned.
Reporting to the Head of the Information & Research Services Department, Green
Library, the Digital Technologies Development Librarian will develop digital
library projects and help identify emerging web based technologies that
promote interactive user engagement with the Libraries'
website. This person will closely collaborate with Library
Systems, the Web Services Librarian, the Emerging
Technologies Librarian and the Instructional Design Librarian to design and
develop dynamic web and mobile-enhanced web applications, communication and
collaboration tools, instructional tutorials and web pages to meet
departmental and library needs. This position will also
collaborate with university partners, for example the Division of Information
Technology, to enhance and improve web services offered while maintaining
university standards and guidelines.
As a member of the Information & Research Services Department, the successful
candidate will provide general reference and research assistance, and
participating in the libraries' information literacy and instruction
program. Some evenings and weekends may be
required. As a library faculty member, the Digital
Technologies Development Librarian is expected to participate in professional
development, research, and service activities in order to meet the Libraries'
and University's requirements for promotion.
* Develops dynamic web and mobile-enabled web applications, workflows, communication and collaboration tools, and web pages to enhance website interactivity
* Provides leadership on behalf of Public Services for large-scale Libraries web-based projects
* Works to improve the functionality of and access to website sections that provide access to research tools and essential library information
* Responsible for Public Services related content maintenance and updates of the Libraries' website
* Assists with the administration of Drupal providing technical support to Library faculty and staff as needed
* Assists with design and layout of main Libraries website, interfaces for web applications, and the Libraries digital signage
* Provides information and research services
* Participates in information literacy and instruction program
* ALA-accredited master's degree in library or information science, or a Master's degree in Computer Science.
* Background in computer programming, Web design, or related field; or equivalent combination of relevant education/training or experience.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats and to diverse audiences.
* Demonstrated professional behavior and excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team and problem solve creatively.
* Strong experience with web content management applications such as Drupal.
* Experience with web project management.
* Knowledge of MS-SQL, MySQL, IIS and Apache web servers, Java, Python, Tomcat.
* Experience providing Reference and Instruction services.
* Experience working in an academic or public library.
Rank/Salary: Non-tenured faculty status; rank and salary are competitive based
on qualifications and experience.
About the Libraries: For information about the FIU Libraries, please visit
Review of Applications: Continues until the position is filled.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 506846 at
careers.fiu.edu and must attach a cover letter, a resume, and the names and
contact information for 3 professional references in a single pdf
file. All inquiries should be directed to Marissa Ball,
Chair of the Search and Screen Committee, at [log in to unmask] . To receive
full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by
November 30, 2013. Review will continue until position is
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/10684/