Digital Assets Librarian
Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens
**Digital Assets Librarian
Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens
**Status: **Full Time; Overtime exempt
**Work Schedule: **Generally comprises ten eight hour days in a two week period. Some evening hours or weekend days may be required.
**Travel:** 0 - 10%
Working within the Collections Division, the Digital Assets Librarian will
develop, implement and sustain an institution-wide digital
strategy. Initiate and carry out the preservation of born-
digital and digitized assets (built in a primarily Microsoft environment) of
the organization, and provide critical expertise to support the growth of the
digital collections and archives. The Digital Assets Librarian will be
responsible for the research, planning, execution and management of all
**Key Job Elements:**
* Establish processes and procedures for the selection, intake, long-term preservation of and access to all of the institutions' digital content.
* Lead the ongoing assessment of digital resources; and develop an engaged and collaborative community for building digital collections and archives.
* Act as Project Manager in the development of a digitization program.
* Manage departmental budget.
* Establish institutional standards and guidelines for creating, managing, preserving, describing, and delivering digital collections.
* Manage and coordinate the development, implementation, maintenance, and preservation of future digital projects, associated databases, and born digital records.
* Manage the current integrated library system (Koha) and digital asset management system (Piction.)
* Establish digitization and metadata workflows for all digital resources in a variety of formats.
* Work with staff and vendors to develop a digital repository for assets, participate in collections development, assessments, and acquisition.
* Develop processes for accessioning and preserving digital material including, but not limited to, historic photographs and documents, email, social media, webpages, and other institutional electronic assets, in current and legacy formats.
* Determine digital project staffing needs. Hire, train, and supervise project interns, volunteers and/or staff.
* Lead program planning efforts, collaborative grant writing digital program initiatives, and identification of additional funding sources.
* Process and coordinate external and internal rights and reproductions requests.
* Perform other duties as required.
* Reports to Head of Collections Research and Archivist
* Cultivates and interacts with a diverse range of staff including senior managers, curators, horticulturists, the exhibitions department, registrar, photographers, research staff, technologists, librarians, and external partners to ensure long-term access to both born-digital and digital content created in house.
* MLS from an ALA-accredited library school or the equivalent combination of education.
* Significant relevant experience in developing, preserving, and managing digital collections in a library and/or archives environment.
* Extensive knowledge of digital resource management standards and best practices for digital capture, scanning, metadata creation, description, access, storage and preservation, and software and copyright laws.
Skills and Abilities -
* Knowledge of and ability to access and utilize integrated library systems (Koha preferred) and digital asset management systems (Piction preferred);
* Reading and writing proficiency consistent with noted educational requirement;
* Excellent technical and interpersonal skills, including the ability to foster a collegial work environment that encourages change and innovation
* Lift up to 40 pounds unassisted.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of
those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual who with
or without reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to
communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and
other electronic means, move about their work area, between buildings and the
campus grounds, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or
otherwise identify, observe and assess. Parts of the
position require some physical labor (i.e. moving of boxes).
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and essential
duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this
classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties,
responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
We are a progressive, equal opportunity employer and all candidates are
encouraged to apply. You can do so by sending a cover letter noting your pay
requirements and your resume to:
[log in to unmask]
Please note Digital Assets Librarian in the subject line.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11441/