Head of Digital Special Collections & Technical Services
Elms College, located in the Pioneer Valley of western Massachusetts, has an
opening for a Digital Special Collections & Technical Services librarian. This
is a full-time, calendar year, tenure track position responsible for managing
the preservation, inventory, digitization and public presentation of Special
Collections (e.g., rare books, historical artifacts, documents, audio
materials); cataloging Federal Documents, and managing Technical Services for
the Alumnae Library.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
* Responsible for the long-term preservation and digitization of Special Collections items, in multiple formats, based on current standards and practices.
* Responsible for production of metadata to create an accessible online/digital Special Collection.
* Oversee the production of metadata to create an accessible online/digital Archives.
* Oversee the role of a Digital Special Collections and Archives in research scholarship.
* Communicate verbally and in writing the programming and initiatives of a Digital Collection.
* Oversee the marketing/storytelling function of Special Collections and Archives via social networking and other means of communication.
* Initiate and oversee the application for local, state, and federal grants that enhance the preservation, technological advancement, and marketing of Special Collections and Archives.
* Assure the integrity of the library catalog for C/WMARS.
* Process federal depository material and oversee the cataloging of current and retrospective Federal Government items, including electronic records from OCLC.
* Develop and maintain the Federal Government web page.
* Create and update Technical Services manuals.
* Back up Interlibrary Loan when necessary.
* Oversee cataloging and ILL network changes due to system upgrades and/or innovations.
* Serve as liaison to OCLC.
* Participate in short and long-term library budgetary planning.
* Assist faculty, students, and the Elms community as member of the Reference team.
* Lead the materials preservation team.
* Teach in the information literacy instruction program and create and maintain Lib Guides as needed
* Maintain Technical Service statistics and Federal Depository statistics.
* Participate on campus and statewide committees (faculty committees, C/W MARS, CLGS, MLS, etc.).
* Serve as liaison to: Biology, Chemistry, History, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Irish Cultural Center, and the Sisters of St. Joseph.
* Act as Quality Control for Collection Development.
* Serve on the library's Copyright Committee to help create and maintain the library's copyright policies, resources, and workshops.
* Supervise the Head of Cataloging & Acquisition, student workers, and interns in the cataloging and processing of library materials (monographs, multimedia, born digital items, digitized items) and oversee staff and students training for Technical Services.
Required: Masters degree from an ALA accredited library school; minimum of two
(2) years cataloging experience including original cataloging ; advanced
knowledge of metadata for materials in various formats including relia;
experience with content management creation using software such as WordPress
or StudioPress; advanced knowledge of copyright law for various formats;
teaching experience; experience with government documents and public services
with all formats of government information; knowledge of Federal Depository
guidelines and practices; reading knowledge of two (2) languages other than
English with applicability toward cataloging. Preferred: second Masters
degree, working knowledge of OCLC; knowledge of/experience with grant writing
and/or grant administration; working knowledge of Evergreen system, and record
of academic publication. Ability to read music is a plus.
Send a cover letter, resume/cv and contact information for three (3)
professional references via email (as Word or PDF attachments) to:
[log in to unmask] to the attention of Karalee Yvon, Office of Academic Affairs,
Review of applications will begin February 4, 2014 and continue until the
position is filled. Target start date for this position is July 2014.
Elms College is an equal opportunity employer and educator founded in the
tradition of the Sisters of St. Joseph.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11282/