Boston Public Library
A leading American historian has called the Boston Public Library (BPL) one of
the five great libraries of the world. Over 3.5 million people visit the
Boston Public Library every year to use its collection of twenty two million
books, maps, manuscripts, photographs, prints, drawings and other items.
Another eight million people connect with the BPL through its website
www.bpl.org to use its services and the growing collection of electronic
resources, downloadable media and digitized rare books, maps and manuscripts.
Among its preeminent collections, the BPL holds a First Folio by William
Shakespeare; original music scores by Mozart, Prokofiev and others; and the
personal library of President John Adams. In addition, the
BPL is home to the renowned Norman B. Leventhal Map Center, which includes
over 200,000 historic maps and 5,000 atlases from all over the
world. Over 10,000 programs and classes attract thousands
of residents from across diverse neighborhoods and cultural groups. Award
winning online and in-library homework assistance sessions, literacy classes,
author programs and computer training sessions are also a popular draw.
The BPL is a department of the municipal government of Boston and a statutory
charitable organization governed by a board of nine Trustees appointed by the
The Information Technology (IT) Server Manager is responsible for leading the
server team, managing the server and enterprise storage infrastructure, and
providing technology architecture, IT security and high
level security problem resolution expertise to ensure a functioning and
optimal computing infrastructure across the Boston Public Library's
branch library locations, the central library and its
departments, across both internal and public computing
programs and services, and encompassing all online and onsite IT services.
The IT Server Manager directly manages the server staff. The IT Server Manager
will act internally and externally for the IT department as the deputy CTO as
needed and on tasks and projects as assigned. This role will work closely and
collaboratively with the IT Network, Server, Web Services and Applications
Managers in particular to ensure a well-coordinated delivery of IT services to
internal and external customers. This role is also responsible for the on-call
schedule, team scheduling, oversees personnel, and participates in strategic
and budgetary planning procedures, including BPL's participation in the
Federal eRate program. This is both a hands-on technical and managerial
position. The position is also expected to maintain currency in cutting edge
server, storage and security technology
and service delivery models, and provide appropriate leadership to BPL's IT
department in this area.
The IT Server Manager is responsible for maintaining the Data Center, Server,
Storage inventory; for procuring, supporting and delivering maintenance for
included equipment and software licenses. They maintain vendor relationships
with key service providers that support and provide technology services for
the BPL infrastructure.
This role is responsible for the optimal operation of all server and storage
environments. It is also responsible for escalation management from technical
support and directly from partner organizations that consume services, and
does so with a focus on maintaining high levels of availability and
Chief Technology Officer or delegate
**Scope of Responsibility**
Under immediate supervision and in accordance with standard policy and
practices performs any or all of the following;
1. Manages the server team, including responsibility for hiring and personnel
performance reviews and evaluations.
2. Is responsible for managing the server equipment and services, manages the
data center facility and storage environments.
3. Provides direct technical leadership in the server and security
4. Manages the storage area network (SAN) infrastructure.
5. Manages the virtual machine (VM) environment.
6. Works with the Network manager and oversees the infrastructure support
services, including DNS, DHCP, the IP Schema.
7. Assists in managing the VOIP system and infrastructure.
8. Manages the key BPL IT services such as Messaging Systems, Databases and
Security Directories (predominantly Exchange, SQL and Active Directory.
9. Manages key vendor relationships especially in the area of server services.
10. Defines, implements, manages procedure documents and communicates
infrastructure access, security, systems management and problem resolution
procedures. Ensures support procedures and formal and informal SLAs are up to
date and consistent with current business and operating procedures.
11. Is also responsible for ensuring compliance with policy as tasks are
executed, in conjunction with IT Management and the Technical Support team.
12. Is responsible for timely and proactive communication with end users,
department team members and management teams with respect to problems, problem
resolution and new deployments of technology, including network configuration
and network topology.
13. Analyzes and reports on server monitors, performance and capacity. When
needed, performs packet capturing and analysis for connection, performance and
14. Is responsible for the evaluation, planning, procurement, provisioning and
deployment of new infrastructure computing technology. Is the primary person
responsible for triage of, assignment of and is accountable for resolution of
server and security problems and acts as point of escalation for problem
resolution and hand off to vendors when problems cannot be resolved
15. Performs routine to complex technical work associated with the
installation, configuration, administration and maintenance of server systems
as well as related software and applications.
16. Is responsible for managing server software, hardware, software license
inventory and maintenance of appropriate files, records and statistics
relating to areas of responsibility and insures compliance with Library
17. Advises staff on new technologies and services and assists with training
as required - demonstrates for staff and trains staff in use of new
18. Provides direct customer service to public and staff as needed.
19. Undertakes local travel as required.
20. Participates in professional development and continuing education
21. Participates in orientation, training, and supervision of staff members in
their duties and responsibilities.
22. Makes recommendations on the evaluation of personnel and on appropriate
action, and executes same as appropriate.
23. Assumes responsibilities for proper functioning of the Department in
absence of the CTO and as delegated.
24. Participates in rotating on-call IT support schedule.
25. Performs related duties as required.
- Strong technical architecture and server/storage management skills.
- Strong management, inter-personal and communication skills.
- Strong task and project management skills.
- Deep knowledge of server, storage, virtualization and security technology and industry standard best practices.
- Strong knowledge of standards and processes for the optimal structuring and running of IT infrastructure services.
- Ability to recognize and set priorities and to use initiative and independent decision-making skills.
- Ability to organize, direct, motivate and evaluate services team, mentor others, and foster a team environment.
- Excellent communication, public speaking and presentation skills are essential.
1. Education - Bachelor's Degree, VMware Certification (VCP/VCAP) ; Storage
Certification (SNIA/EMC) required; Microsoft Certification (MCITP) in Windows
Server / Exchange; Industry Standard Security Certification (e.g. CISSP). In
exceptional instances, specialized education, training and/or experience may
be substituted for part or all of the educational requirements.
2. Experience - Minimum of at least five years of managing staff in a server
support function, plus direct technology-related experience in the server (vm,
ad, exchange) or storage area (emc, vmware, sun); experience in
troubleshooting hardware, software and ability to diagnose and provide
solutions within the IT infrastructure environment.
3. Requirements - Position schedule may require working evenings and
weekends. Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility,
work under pressure and to interact positively and efficiently with the
public. Demonstrated superior customer service skills; ability to communicate
clearly and in a concise manner, superior work habits, ability to prioritize
work, strong organizational skills, and good mechanical aptitude. Ability to
manage and lead people, to hire, motivate, and separate from staff
successfully, to work in a changing progressive environment. Demonstrated
ability to problem-solve, time management and supervise peers and
1. Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the
2. Residency - Must be a resident of the City of Boston upon the first day of
3. CORI - Must successfully clear a Criminal Offenders Record Information
check with the City of Boston.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: Nonunion/PM-6
Hours per week: 35
Please refer to the Salary Information section on the Boston Career Center
site for more information on compensation. For each Salary
Plan, salaries are listed by Grade and Step.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11400/