Somerville Public Library
We seek an innovative, tech savvy, energetic, positive individual who wants to
join a team committed to providing excellent Library services to the City of
Somerville. Reports to the Library Director or his or her
designee. Oversees, implements, maintains, and enhances a wide range of
technologies and systems. Supports Library Staff and
patrons in the use of existing technologies and adoption of new and emerging
technologies. Assumes responsibility for library system in
the absence of the Director and Associate Director. Assists
Library Director in planning and implementing short- and long-range technology
goals. Oversees the development and implementation of
payroll and business office automated systems, including accounts, statistics
and other record-keeping and budget information. Oversees
integrated library system and library services platforms.
Assesses and recommends enhancements of existing and new technologies and
related services. Oversees library-wide software installations and
configurations and troubleshoots problems with software and
equipment. Work with City's IT Department or appropriate
City personnel to coordinate purchase and design of library technology. Finds
appropriate uses for donated equipment and software. Researches, recommends,
and expedites equipment, software, and technology purchases.
Responsible for training staff in the use of technologies and digital media
and encouraging integration of innovative technologies throughout the
library. Prepare and implement technology classes and
workshops such as new tools and sites for staff and public.
Prepare related digital and print manuals, tutorials, and guides for staff and
public. Collaborate with library staff to create new and
support existing platforms for library reference and instruction, such as
tutorials, chat, streaming media, podcasting, publishing, and third party
Provides leadership in designing, developing and supporting the library's
online, mobile, and digital presence, including website and digitization
projects. Engage in usability testing and assessment of the
library's website, mobile and other platforms.
Work with community groups to promote library services. Work with public in
reference and other departments as needed. Work with
library staff on grants. Attend minuteman library network director's meetings
in absence of the director or associate director. Work with minuteman library
network committees and library associations to ensure that library staff
members are aware of the latest trends in library technology. Represent the
library on the minuteman library network technology committee and assistive
technology committee. Other duties as assigned.
* MLS from an ALA-Accredited Library School. Bachelor's Degree from an Accredited Institution.
* Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience managing, supervising, and training staff.
* Minimum 2 years demonstrated knowledge of and experience with programming, networks (including Microsoft NT Operating System), Internet and software packages, digital media applications and standards, content management systems including Drupal, and database-driven website and applications.
* Creativity and initiative thinking in developing and implementing new programs and applications.
* Experience and understanding of integrated library software. Experience with Millennium or Encore, preferred.
* Experience and understanding of content management system including Drupal and Web Design and user centered design best practices.
* Demonstrated project management experience.
* Demonstrated analytical abilities.
* Proven ability to pull teams together to get projects completed.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to provide excellent customer service to the public and colleagues.
* Proficiency in programming languages and developing applications with Drupal, PHP, MYSQL a plus.
Send resume along with a cover letter to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11403/