Wikipedia Interns, Office of Innovation
National Archives and Records Administration
Two volunteer interns are needed in the Office of Innovation, located in
College Park, MD to work approximately 8-12 hours per week. The options
offered below are for either technically or community-oriented internships.
Virtual interns are welcome to work from any location.
Interns are encouraged to work with their educational institutions to obtain
course credit for this unpaid internship.
Responsibilities : Tasks the selected candidate will be expected to perform
may include, but may not be limited to, the following.
* Scripting for upload bot : Provide technical support for NARA's upload project, which seeks to upload NARA digital assets and metadata to Wikimedia Commons. This includes scripting new features for the existing Python code, and maintaining NARA's custom Wikimedia Commons templates.
* Analytics : Primarily using Wikimedia Tool Labs, intern will run database queries or create new tools to assist in NARA's Wikimedia-related analytics collecting.
* Special projects : In consultation with assigned mentor, intern may initiate new NARA-related projects.
* MediaWiki development : Coding new patches to MediaWiki software where relevant to NARA's Wikimedia activities, as directed by assigned mentor.
Experience editing Wikipedia is required. Editors must be in good standing
within the community. You will update your Wikipedia user page to declare your
affiliation with the National Archives and Records Administration, and refrain
from promotional edits or violations of Wikipedia's conflict of interest
policy. Interns are still accountable to the Wikipedia community for their
* Ability to run database queries using Wikimedia Tool Labs account
* Familiarity with Wikipedia social conventions, policies, and communication channels
* Ability to communicate technical concepts and needs to non-technical NARA staff
* Interest in GLAM-Wiki project, archives, or U.S. history
* Experience with coding and running bots on Wikimedia projects, especially image upload
* Technical understanding of images, file formats, structured metadata, and related issues
* Familiarity with Wikidata, Wikisource, and/or Wikimedia Commons
Only email applications will be considered. Please email documents to the
attention of Dannielle Blumenthal at [log in to unmask]
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11431/