HSL Systems & Technology Librarian
The Temple University Health Sciences Libraries seek an innovative, yet
pragmatic leader to oversee its IT operations. Headquartered at the Simmy and
Harry Ginsburg Library, the Libraries serve the information needs of the
schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Podiatry, the College of Health
Professions & Social Work, and Temple University Hospital. For more
information about Temple, visit: http://www.temple.edu/about/.
The HSL Systems & Technology Librarian is responsible for the Libraries' IT
strategy, development and daily operations. This position will direct,
supervise, and coordinate the IT department - including management of staff,
installation and support of public and staff desktop computer and peripherals,
supporting university-wide library-specific system applications, and reviewing
and recommending new technology and technology-related services in the
* Provides strategic direction to and manages the two health sciences libraries (Ginsburg and Podiatry Library) IT infrastructure. Identify opportunities to improve current IT processes. In house operations include public and staff desktop computers, laptops, printers, scanners, digital signage and technology in smart classrooms and meeting rooms.
* Manages the Health Sciences IT department, including one technical support staff specialist, one part-time IT staff person and multiple student IT staff.
* Participates in the development, operation, and maintenance of central or shared Temple University library systems such as the ILS, electronic reserves, and other systems. Manages health sciences library-specific systems applications.
* Works closely with vendors to establish new systems and services and collaboratively resolve technical support issues for systems when appropriate.
* Works closely with other librarians, School of Medicine IT staff, TUH IT staff and TU Computer Services personnel to ensure optimal technology-based operations.
* Provides hands-on systems support as needed for Library staff and patrons.
* Communicates regularly with library staff on technology-related issues. Provides regular updates on the status of ongoing projects, new equipment, and resolution of technology issues.
* Researches and recommends hardware, software and related equipment; provides specifications as needed.
* Oversees the tracking and updating of all pending services and projects using established tracking systems.
* Serves as Team Leader for the HSL New Technologies team.
* Serves as part of the University Libraries Technology Services Department and acts as HSL liaison for central Library IT planning.
* Maintains a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology, equipment and systems.
* Other responsibilities: manages and reports statistics as needed; represents the libraries on appropriate committees as assigned.
Competitive salary and benefits package, including relocation allowance.
Required Education and Experience:
ALA-accredited Master's degree in library/information science and three years
Required Skills and Abilities:
* Demonstrated ability to identify, diagnose and resolve technical problems in a significant IT environment.
* Familiarity with library systems such as integrated library systems and interlibrary loan systems.
* Demonstrated evidence of continuing education/professional development in IT programs or computers in libraries applications.
* Experience installing and configuring PC and Mac workstations.
* Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft office programs, networking and information security products.
* Demonstrated project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
* Experience providing IT support in a large university library or health sciences library environment
* Help Desk management experience; experience with ticketing/tracking systems such as Remedy.
* Experience supervising full-time and/or part-time student staff
* Experience with open source library software, including use, development, and implementation
* Experience providing training and creating documentation
To apply for this position, please visit http://www.temple.edu, click on
Careers@Temple and reference TU-17373. Please attach a resume and cover letter
to your on-line application. The review of applications will begin immediately
and will continue until the position is filled.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11608/