Digital Public Library of America
The Digital Public Library of America seeks a Technology Specialist to join
its growing team and to further DPLA's mission to bring together the riches of
America's libraries, archives, and museums, and make them freely available to
all. A belief in this mission and the drive to accomplish it over time in a
collaborative spirit both within and beyond the organization is essential.
The Technology Specialist will:
• Work as flexible member of a small team.
• Report to the Director for Technology, working to design, develop, test,
integrate, support, and document user-facing applications and back-end
• Support the philosophy of open source, shared, and community-built tools,
scripts, and technologies.
• Be conversant and comfortable with digital library technologies and engage
cultural heritage communities and consortial efforts.
• Support content management policies, process, and workflows, and contribute
to the development of new ones.
• Demonstrate knowledge of, and experience with, web application and software
development and data modeling.
• Collaborate with stakeholders to contribute to strategic and tactical
planning and implementation of content stewardship applications and
• Maintain knowledge of emerging technologies to support the DPLA's evolving
• Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as
• Experience working in the context of a software development methodology.
• Experience with standard software and web application development tools and
and Ruby on Rails.
• Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team environment and the
ability to interact well with stakeholders.
• Knowledge of Semantic Web and linked data concepts and technologies.
• Knowledge of library practices and data formats, including XML, OAI-PMH,
MODS, MARC, and Dublin Core.
• Ability to administer PHP/MySQL applications such as WordPress and Omeka.
• Considerable knowledge of the methods and tools used in electronic data
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
• Demonstrated desire to learn new toolsets and programming languages.
• Working knowledge of version control systems.
Like its collection, the DPLA is strongly committed to diversity in all of its
forms. We provide a full set of benefits, including health care, life and
disability insurance, and a retirement account. Starting salary is
commensurate with experience.
The DPLA's central office is in the Boston Public Library, in Copley Square in
the heart of Boston, Massachusetts. The Technology Specialists will be located
in the Boston area.
Please send a letter of interest, a resume/CV, and contact information for
three references to [log in to unmask] Questions about the position may also be
directed to that address.
**About the DPLA**
The Digital Public Library of America strives to contain the full breadth of
human expression, from the written word, to works of art and culture, to
records of America's heritage, to the efforts and data of science. Since
launching in April 2013, it has aggregated over 5.5 million items from over
1,100 institutions. The DPLA is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11630/