Canadiana.org is a non-profit registered charity located
in Ottawa, Ontario.
Its mandate is to digitize, preserve and provide greater access to Canadian
documentary heritage online. We are currently hiring for the position of a
junior system administrator. The system administrator will
work as part of a team of developers and system administrators to help build,
manage and maintain Canadiana.org's IT infrastructure and services.
Primary responsibilities include:
• configuring and managing LAN services and infrastructure;
• installing and maintaining servers and desktop computers and software;
• providing networking, hardware and software support to staff;
• maintaining an inventory of assets;
• monitoring and managing storage systems and resources;
• assisting with WAN and production server administration.
Qualified candidates will have good communication and interpersonal skills,
and a broad
general knowledge of Linux/Unix systems and networking, with significant
experience in at least
some of the following areas:
• Samba and LDAP
• SMTP and MTAs (Postfix)
• Virtualization (libvirt and KVM)
• Remote protocols (SSH, VNC, RDP)
• Ubuntu or Debian Linux (especially building Debian packages)
• Networking (iptables, TCP/IP, switch configuration, VLANs, link aggregation)
• Relational databases (MySQL)
• Hardware (building desktop PCs and servers)
• Desktop client support (Windows, MacOS, Ubuntu Linux)
• Scripting (bash, Perl, Python, Ruby)
A university degree in computer science or a related field is preferred.
Bilingualism is an asset.
This position may require occasional travel within Southern Ontario and
Western Quebec to install or service equipment. A valid driver's license and
an ability to lift up to 20 kg are required.
The successful candidate must hold or be able to obtain Government of Canada
This position is being staffed for an initial term of one year, with the
possibility of becoming permanent. Health and pension benefits are included.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Individuals interested in applying for this position should send a resume in
PDF format to [log in to unmask] no later than February 7th, 2014.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11673/