Senior Mobile Developer- Reinvent Ebook Access for Libraries at NYPL Labs
New York Public Library
New York City
_**Seeking:**_ an experienced mobile applications developer to help reinvent
eBook discovery and access for public libraries.
With the support of the federal government and a broad coalition of library
partners, The New York Public Library is building a small, empowered product
team to develop a mobile platform for ebook lending and reading that could
serve as model for public libraries across North America. The ideal candidate
is that rare intersection of software super geek (Google keeps calling you)
and social do-gooder seeking to improve public access to knowledge and
information. If you're game to help re-imagine the public library eBook
experience, then make that vision real (and scaleable), then we want you.
This project will be incubated in NYPL Labs, The New York Public Library's in-
house "skunkworks" unit. You'll be working mainly on ebook access, but dipping
into a range of fascinating library experiments, collaborations and elective
_**About NYPL Labs:**_
Based at The New York Public Library's landmark central branch on 42nd Street,
NYPL Labs is an award-winning design and technology team working to re-imagine
The Library for the Internet age. Labs developers work closely with librarians
and curators to create imaginative tools, apps and experiences around library
content and services, often engaging the public directly directly in the work
of improving, organizing or remixing library data. At NYPL Labs, you'll be
joining an amazing creative team working at the crossroads of public-sector
technology in New York. In addition: a great benefits package, ample vacation
time, and a sane life/work balance all make NYPL a fantastic place to work and
* Play a key role in the design and development of an mobile application platform for eBooks and Library digital content for iOS and Android.
* Participate in the overall maintenance of the application, including bug fixes, performance enhancements and run-time production support
* Work with server-side engineers to define service APIs to support the mobile applications
* Write clean, well-documented and unit-tested code
* As needed, generate technical documentation for various aspects of the application
* Work with front-end (UI) developers to integrate server-side code with UI artifacts
* Engage with the eBook hacker community through blogging, public speaking, hackathons etc.
* Problem Solving
* At least 2-3 years of experience writing both native and web mobile applications for iOS, Android or both platforms
* Experience with WebKit, and ePub file format is a plus
* Has previously built client-server applications
* Strong experience in managing the constraints in mobile applications - optimizing speed and efficiency with storage, memory usage, power management, battery usage, etc.
* Keen eye for design detail
* Strong appreciation for architecture, problem solving, testing, and agile development
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline is preferred
* Passion for building high-quality mobile applications
* Self-starter, with ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks
* Write and speak as well as you can code (there are often opportunities to write and present about our work inside and outside The Library)
* High energy and a positive attitude in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment
* Strong desire to make a huge impact on how the public is able to access knowledge.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11676/