Director of Library & Archives
Auto req ID 17127BR
Job Title Director Library & Archives
Job Type Full Time
CBS Business Unit Showtime
Sub-Business Unit Smithsonian Networks
Job Description The Director of Library & Archives is responsible for the
long-term preservation and accessibility of SNI's original and other re-usable
audiovisual assets. He or she will oversee digital preservation and cataloging
of these assets, and will manage the work of freelance staff to accomplish
special projects and annual department goals.
Digital preservation: To ensure that SNI's original and other re-usable
content is preserved to archival standards and remains available for future
use, this position will: Develop and execute preservation and access
strategies and workflows; Maintain, update, and upgrade archiving software and
hardware; Manage special projects such as digitization of original videotape
and preservation of digitally recorded assets; Collaborate with Production
Technology & Operations, Production Management, and Post Production to
integrate archival best practices into daily production workflows; Engage in
long-term planning for digital archive growth and future needs; Stay current
with relevant advances in technology and best practices.
Footage database: To ensure that staff can locate and re-use unedited original
footage and other re-usable assets, this position will: Administrate
Collective Access footage database (SCOUT); Oversee cataloging of new assets
as well as SNI's back catalog; Recruit, train and supervise freelance
catalogers, as needed; Set guidelines and templates for logging of new
original footage by production teams; Train production staff on SCOUT database
use and search strategies; Work with IT and outside developer to maintain and
upgrade database software and hardware.
Stock Sales : To monetize SNI's original raw footage, this position will:
Manage selection and preparation of saleable stock footage clips for external
sales; Work with various SNI staff to identify opportunities for increasing
stock sales; Maintain relationship with SNI's stock footage representative and
set priorities for clip selection.
Footage Research : To ensure that production staff can access and use the best
available content for SNI programs, this position will: Act as in-house
consultant on archival & stock footage searches for original productions;
Perform footage searches in-house and elsewhere, as needed; Act as liaison
with Rights & Clearances on pertinent stock footage and rights issues.
Smithsonian Institution Archives: To assess value and facilitate access to
archives within the Smithsonian Institution, this position will: foster
working relationships with archivists across the Institution and improve
process for acquiring SI-owned footage for use in SNI programming.
* Bachelor's degree or similar combination of experience and education required.
* A master's degree or coursework in library or archival science is preferred.
* Minimum 5 years experience in an audiovisual archives; knowledge of physical and file-based video formats and digital preservation best practices; deep understanding of documentary production processes
* Must have demonstrated budgeting, project management, and supervisory experience
* Strong research skills: must have extensive experience locating archival footage and stills from a variety of public and private sources
* Knowledge of copyright and experience in negotiating use agreements and clearing rights for television broadcast is essential.
* Must be highly organized, attentive to detail, able to multitask, and have excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Experience with the following software is required: Collective Access, Filemaker Pro, Final Cut Pro, and Adobe Production Suite
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11484/