Digital Projects & Technologies Librarian
Ryerson University Library
Ryerson University Library and Archives (RULA) has an
opening for an imaginative and skilled individual to fill
acareer status track, permanent position as Digital
Projects & Technologies Librarian. The successful candidate will
beexpected to provide leadership in designing, developing
and incorporating latest digital library technologies to
createinnovative library services and platforms that engage
library users and enhance their digital learning and
researchexperiences. The incumbent will be a member of the
Library Information Technology Services (LITS) Department.
Heor she will also be a member of Ryerson Faculty
Association (RFA) and report to the Chief Librarian.
The Digital Projects & Technologies Librarian's responsibilities:
* Creates and enhances appropriate software frameworks for RULA's digital library initiatives.
* Designs, develops and analyzes dynamic web and mobile-enhanced applications, systems and tools.
* Maintains and improves existing library information systems and applications (i.e. institutional repository), and works closely with library information technology staff to develop and maintain supporting infrastructure.
* Provides project planning and management, programming and expertise for a portfolio of digital projects to support RULA's digital scholarship and digital humanities initiatives.
* Introduces and integrates latest information technology trends and tools such as MongoDB and Elastic Search to the Library application development framework.
* Advises Library colleagues and faculty partners on emerging digital research methodologies, including research data management, digital preservation, big data analysis, linked open data, etc.
* Supervises and assigns work to work-study, practicum, and co-op students assisting with library IT projects; provides functional supervision of library staff as required.
* Liaises and collaborates with faculty, researchers and other departments to further library digital research initiatives & partnerships, and may act as subject liaison in related areas.
* Participates in identifying & establishing funding sources for the Library information technology research and development (e.g., grant proposals).
* Contributes to the digital library community, which may include presenting at academic conferences, developing research for scholarly publications, etc.
* Participates in various library and university committees and task forces as appropriate.
* Provides reference services as part of the scheduled desk rotation including online chat.
* MLS, MLIS or MI from an ALA accredited program or equivalent.
* Experience in implementing digital repository systems and related technologies (e.g., Islandora) and Open Journal System (OJS)).
* Knowledge of integrated library systems, content management systems and library discovery systems.
* Experience in the design and manipulation of relational databases; demonstrated proficiency in developing and maintaining web applications.
* Development experience with open source big data technology tools such as NoSQL Databases (MongoDB or CouchDB), Elastic Search, etc.
* Comprehensive knowledge of Semantic Web tools and standards, including Linked Data, XML, XPath, XSLT, XHTML, RDF, RSS, Atom, SKOS, OpenURL/COinS, OAI-PMH, and SRW/SRU (Z39.50).
* Experience with Knowledge of current and emerging metadata schemas and standards, including Dublin Core, MARC, RDA, EAD, METS, MODS, and PREMIS.
* Demonstrated experience with Unix or Linux server platforms, related software, and basic system administration utilities.
* Experience in leading an application development team and project management.
* Some experience with developing applications for mobile devices.
* Ability to collaborate as part of the Library team and with campus systems expertise at all levels.
* Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
* Creativity and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Ability to learn new technical skills quickly; ability to meet deadlines; strong service-orientation.
* Background in the Sciences an asset.
Please see full job posting at:[https://hr.cf.ryerson.ca/am
preview.cfm?posting_id=501457) for more information and to apply.
**Deadline for applications: February 10, 2014**
_Ryerson University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our
community. We welcome those who wouldcontribute to the
further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship
including, but not limited to, women,visible minorities,
Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual
orientation or genderidentity. Please note that all
qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians
andpermanent residents will be given priority._
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11761/