Manager, Library Technology Services
Shortgrass Library System
Shortgrass Library System www.shortgrass.ca is looking for a Manager, Library
Technology Services to join our innovative, collaborative and highly motivated
This position reports to the CEO and is responsible for the provision of high
quality technology services in the demanding environment of a regional library
Some of the main projects the Manager, Library Technology Services will manage
include: developing an online payment/membership renewal system, the province-
wide Me-Card, and an ongoing review of all technology related services offered
by the regional library system.
Shortgrass Library System is one of Alberta's seven regional library systems.
Covering the south-eastern corner of Alberta, and headquartered in Medicine
Hat, Alberta, Shortgrass serves a population of over 100,000 through a network
of twelve autonomous public libraries. We also provide contractual services to
a total of thirty-three school libraries in the Prairie Rose School Division
Number 8 and Medicine Hat School District Number 76.
Shortgrass works in partnership with Medicine Hat College Library Services on
ongoing projects such as the regional One Community One Card system and the
Shared Intern Librarian initiative.
The City of Medicine Hat
Located in the scenic South Saskatchewan River Valley, Medicine Hat gets 2,512
hours of sunshine per year! This makes it one of "Canada's Sunniest Cities",
and an attractive year-round playground for a wide variety of activities.
The city is rich in local history and unique attractions, from the Medicine
Hat Clay Industries National Historic District, the gaslight-themed downtown
with over 200 shops and services, to the state-of-the-art Esplanade Arts &
Heritage Centre. Low property taxes, natural gas and electricity rates in
Medicine Hat are well below the North American average. The City also offers
reasonable housing costs, no provincial sales tax and the lowest income taxes
in the county! For more information on relocating to Medicine Hat, please
World-famous tourist attractions, such as Dinosaur Provincial Park, Cypress
Hills Interprovincial Park, Writing-On-Stone Provincial Park & the Royal
Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology are just a short drive away.
• Coordination of system wide technology based projects and programs
• Representation on regional and provincial work teams and committees such as
the One Community One Card project, SAILS (Southern Alberta Integrated Library
System) consortium, and TAL (The Alberta Library).
• Recommendation of appropriate emerging technologies applicable to public
• Management of publicly accessible online services, including the ILS, the
System website, online catalogues, electronic resources, etc.
• Technology development and support services to members and contracted
partners including the optimization of the ILS for staff use; creation of
reports within the ILS
• Technology training of System and member library employees as well as
• Troubleshooting of ILS-related problems
• This position is one of the first points of contact during after-hours for
any technology related issues and occasionally requires work to be completed
outside regular office hours
• Negotiations with SLS partners and vendors on issues related to the
provision of library technology services
• Monitoring and evaluating the usage of SLS electronic resources
• Advising member libraries on technology related services, including digital
• Master of Library Science/ Master of Library and Information Science degree
or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program
• Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of emerging technologies in public
• Experience providing technology services in a library environment
• Experience managing an ILS system, experience managing SirsiDynix Symphony
in particular, is an asset, with API experience being a great addition.
• Experience with working in Unix/Linux command line environment or with Shell
and/or Perl scripting would be a great asset
• Experience dealing with vendors
• Strong leadership and management skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to function well both independently and as a member of a team
• Strong service ethic
$67,434 to $84,913 plus generous benefits package including: extended health &
dental benefits, Short & Long Term Disability, Life Insurance & Pension Plan.
A moving allowance may be available as per Shortgrass Library System policy.
Additional information :
Review of applications will begin January 10th, 2014. The posting will remain
open until the position has been filled.
Shortgrass Library System thanks all applicants for their interest in the
position, but only those under consideration will be contacted.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11968/