IT Admin II - Digital Initiatives Developer
University of Tennessee Knoxville
This position will be a member of the Digital Initiatives department within
the University of Tennessee Libraries. It will report to the Associate
Professor and Head, Digital Initiatives and will work both independently and
collaboratively to analyze and develop specifications for complex library
information systems and software using accepted systems analysis and
programming techniques and procedures. In consultation with librarians and
other library and university analysts, programmers, systems administrators,
technical support staff, vendors, and end users, these system specifications
will be utilized to customize, enhance, and extend library information system
and software functionality.
The position will be expected to work with minimal supervision and to help
bring projects to completion according to deadlines and within budget.
Responsibilities / Duties:
Systems Analysis - 50%
* Work independently and collaboratively to identify strategic areas for technical development.
* Perform extensive technical analysis, planning and design for customizations and enhancements, system development, and documentation.
* Analyze and report on new and emerging library information systems and software, especially those in the area of digital humanities, with a focus on their benefits and feasibility.
* Consider and account for the effect of new systems or software, or changes to existing systems or software, on other areas of the library and university.
System Development - 40%
* Customize, enhance, and extend library information systems and software to improve their performance and usability.
* Evaluate existing and emerging tools, APIs, and other technologies.
* Design, prototype, develop, test, implement, and document new computer programs and information systems for digital humanities research projects.
* Provide limited technical support for digital humanities research projects including the implementation of necessary tools and technologies and other bootstrapping assistance.
* Document and share system changes.
* Work closely with system administrators to plan, develop, implement, and carry out procedures for both immediate and long-term administration and support of new customizations and enhancements that extend the functionality of library information systems and software. At a minimum this includes:
* Training system administrators on customizations and enhancements.
* Working closely with system administrators to continually maintain and improve the stability, availability (up time), performance, and security of customizations and enhancements.
* Working closely with data backup system administrators to perform disaster planning that ensures all customizations and enhancements are backed up and fully recoverable in the event of catastrophic system failure.
* Provide consultation to system administrators on any problems that may occur and developing and implementing solutions and procedures designed to minimize the chance of their recurrence in the future.
Collaboration - 10%
* Attend and contribute to meetings.
* Ensure that projects, departmental, and university needs are met successfully by completing assigned tasks on time and within budget.
* Work with others to solve problems in a timely and effective manner.
* Document and share procedures.
* Consult with others as appropriate to identify and recommend optimal technologies, techniques, and strategies for successful project completion.
* Consult with others as appropriate concerning user needs, usability requirements, campus computer security requirements, and integration of new programs and services with existing library and university computer systems and services.
* Participate in the library on-call rotation.
* Bachelor's degree
* 5 years systems analysis and/or computer development/programing experience
* Experience or knowledge of libraries
* Mastery of at least two computer scripting/programming languages such as Python, Java, Ruby, R, Perl, or PHP
* Experience or knowledge of XML schemas or DTDs such as TEI, KML, or RDF.
* Demonstrated experience working with RESTful and / or SOAP based APIs.
* Experience or knowledge of an enterprise server environment.
* Experience or knowledge of database environments.
* Experience or knowledge of Web-based interface design.
* Ability to work on unique, one-of-a-kind projects.
* Ability to present complex technical information to non-specialists and a clear understanding of the perspectives and needs of scholars and researchers.
* Ability to work collaboratively with others from diverse personal and professional backgrounds.
* Ability to work independently or collaboratively in group settings.
* Ability to quickly learn new programming languages and technologies.
* Ability to think creatively and problem solve.
* Highly flexible.
* Have a strong service ethic.
* Experience or knowledge of academic libraries
* Experience or knowledge of digital humanities
* Experience or knowledge of project management
Contact University Human Resources:
221 Conference Center Building, Knoxville, TN 37996-4125
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/11607/