Re: Python CMSs

Joshua Welker <[log in to unmask]>

Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Feb 2014 14:48:25 -0600

text/plain

Drupal 8 will *almost* be a box-based CMS with Views being integrated with
the core application. You can turn any chunk of content into a view "block"
that can be dropped into pre-defined regions. But to have different blocks
on different pages, you still have to build complex templates or use a
plugin like Context.

You'd think it wouldn't be that hard... you'd just need a database table
with fields for box_id, page_id, and page_region. Then when a page loads, it
pulls up all boxes with the same page_id and puts them into the appropriate
region. Why this isn't built into the core of any CMS I know is beyond me.
They all have plugins that hack in that functionality in an ugly way.

Josh Welker

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom
Keays
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 2:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Python CMSs

Here's a little digression, getting away from talk about the underlying
technology...

Most CMSes, rather than being *content *management systems, are actually
*page *management systems. They provide a few different page templates --
blog posts, about pages, product descriptions, etc. -- but when you get to
the point of creating of creating or editing content, you are asked to fill
in a form that, other than requiring a title, author, date, and simple tags
or categories, is mainly just a big-old-chunk-o-unstructured-text.

Read the following post by Christopher Butler, a web developer, that
describes this problem and proposes a new way of thinking about content
management.

http://www.newfangled.com/the_way_you_design_web_content_is_about_to_change

AFAIK, none of the CMSes mentioned in this thread so far do anything that
approaches what this article is talking about. Drupal is constantly
restructuring itself to be more modular. I keep having hope. But it remains
cumbersome to reuse content in Drupal or any other CMS I've looked at.
Ultimately, CMS modularity is still tied to page templates.

The one exception seems to be LibGuides. I think the reason that librarians
and libraries like LibGuides is the ease of creating modules of content that
it offers. In the process of building a guide (a suite of pages on a topic),
you are largely creating boxes of structured content. In those boxes, you
can create links that can be shared and reused in other guides; you can have
a user profile that can be slotted into any page; and even the most
unstructured content, the "rich text box", can be cloned into other pages or
guides. Entire pages or guides can also be cloned and reused. With the
forthcoming LibGuides 2, which offers even more structured and reusable
content -- e.g., assets in the form of links, RSS feeds, documents/files,
book entries, media widgets, database listings, and icons -- it looks even
more modular. Their new approach to building boxes by assembling them from
reusable components is also a step forward.

You can't do everything with LibGuides that you can with "real" CMS systems;
some content types are purposely withheld -- e.g., event and calendar
entries, blog/news posts, image galleries, etc. -- but does any "real" CMS
even come close in terms of modularity?

What I'd like to see is a modular CMS, with reusable components and,
ideally, some sort of API to further extend reuse.

Tom

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Sarah Thorngate <[log in to unmask]