Linux System Administrator
BC Libraries Cooperative
The BC Libraries Cooperative (http://bc.libraries.coop/) is
a non-profit, member-driven cooperative providing shared services to libraries
in the Province of British Columbia and increasingly across Canada. The
Cooperative is home to Sitka (http://bc.libraries.coop/products-
services/sitka/)- a group of libraries using the award-winning open-source
Evergreen software (http://evergreen-ils.org/) as its shared Integrated
Library System (ILS). In addition, the Cooperative supports a number of new
and emerging library services, including a national initiative to provide
accessible library materials (http://nnels.ca), a hosting service for library
website content management (http://bc.libraries.coop/products-
services/libpress/) and a cloud storage solution. Across these services, the
Co-op is dedicated to using open source tools and contemporary development
methodologies and hosting practices.
The BC Libraries Cooperative is hiring a half-time (18 hours/week | 3 x 6
hours) Linux System Administrator under a fixed-term contract (term
negotiable) that may lead to a regular employment position. As a member of a
dedicated technical and support team, this position will be responsible for
the maintenance and improvement of the Cooperative's technical infrastructure.
Must be willing and available for on-call (after hours) rotation and some
weekend work for maintenance. Must understand a team's obligations in
providing 24×7 support.
Residency in Vancouver, British Columbia is required for start date.
Compensation is negotiable, depending on qualifications and experience.
The position requires the following core skills:
* minimum of two years experience with Linux system administration using an enterprise-level distribution, Ubuntu Server or Debian preferred.
* experience managing server hardware
* experience managing data backups
* experience writing documentation and communicating technical information clearly and concisely
* experience managing Apache
* familiarity with RDBMS (PostgreSQL preferred)
Experience with the following would be an asset:
* Experience with Perl programming and Bash scripting
* experience working in or with library organizations
* participation in open source projects
* experience with virtualization systems
* experience with distributed object storage systems (e.g. CEPH)
Competencies and qualifications:
* ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely
* ability to manage stress
* a sense of humour
* appreciation of baked goods or reasonable facsimiles; the ability to make these will be considered an asset.
* ability to work in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in one location)
* Bachelor of Computing Science, Engineering or Physics or significant coursework towards same; an equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
Candidates must clearly indicate how they meet the position requirements.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in PDF
format to office at bc.libraries.coop no later than February 14, 2014.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/12300/