Assistant Director of Digital Strategies
Houston Public Library
The Houston Public Library (HPL) is seeking a dynamic information technology
professional to provide visionary and transformational leadership in today's
digital library environment while envisioning and preparing for the library of
the future. This individual is smart, strategic, creative, and results-driven
with extensive experience in providing support for public services, especially
in a system with multiple locations; and has deep knowledge in operational
improvement and change management. The Assistant Director of Digital
Strategies (ADDS) will provide leadership for the HPL Digital Strategies team,
and, in keeping with HPL's vision and mission, will create a fresh direction
for HPL systemwide technology services. The ADDS will work in partnership with
HPL Leadership, HPL Divisions, and the City of Houston Information Technology
Services Department (HITS) to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate leading
edge technology strategies that support HPL's business operations, and
continuously improve cost effectiveness, service quality and customer service
delivery. Reporting to the Library Director, this position is an exciting
executive leadership opportunity in a forward thinking organization. The ADDS
serves as an integral member of the Houston Public Library Executive
Leadership Team and plays a critical role in leading HPL into a future that
will include state of the art technologies that support innovative information
delivery, engaging learning spaces, and stellar customer experiences. The
ideal candidate will have demonstrated success aligning people, processes and
technology; excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal and customer
relationship skills; and is successful interfacing with executive management,
business partners, stakeholders, and staff. The individual we seek can quickly
build trust and work successfully in a large, diverse, urban environment.
Essential responsibilities for the Assistant Director for Digital Strategies
include the following:
* Provide overall vision, innovation, and leadership for HPL's digital services.
* Serve as a member of the Executive Leadership Team.
* Provide leadership for the HPL Digital Strategies Team (DST). Implement team building and development opportunities for DST to facilitate innovation and to ensure continuous delivery of effective, efficient, leading edge technology services. Establish and direct the strategic and tactical goals, policies, and procedures for the division.
* Identify and address user needs and resolve problems in a timely manner.
* Develop and implement a system to continuously analyze and improve upon technology standards, procedures and policies across the library to gain efficiencies and improve processes. Partner with the City of Houston Information Technology Services Department (HITS) to ensure HPL's compliance with citywide technology standards, and to ensure optimal support for HPL's technology operations.
* Serve as the Library's liaison to HITS; represent HPL on citywide technology meetings and on citywide technology committees and teams;
* Monitor performance of HITS through an operational level agreement, automated systems monitoring, and other measures.
* Establish services metrics that align with library standards and goals that demonstrate value to HPL's staff operations and excellent customer service delivery.
* Lead and encourage continuous research within HPL to ensure current knowledge of industry trends and emerging technologies for Library staff.
* Serve as a link to the wider world of library technology and technology in general through broad engagement with vendors, local and national Library colleagues, and participation in national professional organizations.
* Manage vendor relationships and contracts to maximize service level performance and minimize costs. Propose hardware/software solutions to accomplish HPL's vision and mission.
* Manage, track, and control technology operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing and operations.
* Provide general oversight for the Houston Area Library Automated Network (HALAN). HALAN is a consortium of libraries, including Houston Public Library, served by a common integrated library system (ILS) through contract with the City of Houston and housed at HPL. (The HALAN Division Chief reports to the ADDS)
* Administration of HPL's technology staff and public training centers; continuous development of training opportunities for the public and staff in using emerging technologies and applications.
QUALIFICATIONS: Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor's degree in
Information Technology or a closely related field and seven years or more of
professional experience. Experience must include at least three years in a
Applicants are encouraged to submit a Cover Letter and Resume when applying.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/12371/