Education and Outreach Nursing & Life Sciences Librarian
University of Miami
Reporting to the Head of Education and Outreach, the Education and Outreach
Librarian is the liaison and subject specialist to the School of Nursing and
Health Studies and the Departments of Biology and Chemistry in the College of
Arts and Sciences. The Librarian is responsible for outreach, collection
development, departmental liaison activities, technology and research support
for the University community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may
* Develop outreach activities to promote library programming, resources andservices.
* Communicate effectively with University of Miami faculty, students, staff and administrators.
* As liaison for faculty and students in designated departments should meet the expectations of the faculty and students as well as promote services and resources of the University of Miami Libraries.
* Develop resources and maintain a substantial schedule of classes, consultations and workshops in real and virtual environments to provide multiple opportunities for teaching critical information literacy skills and library resources.
* Provide subject based consultations and develop and revise web pages in support of a department and subject area.
* Work collaboratively with library faculty and staff to develop, provide and evaluate information, technology, research, and instruction assistance geared towards faculty, and the interests and learning styles of today's students during scheduled hours which include nights and weekends.
* Select, assess, and manage collections and resources in designated subject areas.
* Monitor budgets and make collections decisions to support the teaching, learning, and research needs of the University community.
* Supervise or direct library and student assistants.
* Keep abreast of relevant literature and studies for current awareness of trends, developments, and best practices in librarianship, information technology, instructional technology, and scholarly communication, with particular emphasis on information and reference service, information literacy and instruction, collection development, and assigned subjects and disciplines.
* ALA accredited master's degree or equivalent.
* One year of academic or special library work experience.
* Educational background in nursing and/or life sciences is preferred.
* Experience using health-related information resources.
* Familiarity with teaching methods such as active, competency-based and problem-based learning.
* Knowledge of and interest in emerging technologies.
* Ability to assist and instruct users and students in specialized resources.
* Superb interpersonal and communication skills.
* Commitment to user-centered library service and the promotion of information literacy.
* Ability to work independently and in teams in a dynamic changing environment.
* Excellent organizational and time management skills.
* Ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse population.
* A commitment to the importance of excellence in teaching and scholarship.
* The ability to work collaboratively and effectively with staff, faculty, and University administration.
* Strong commitment to professional development.
* Skill in developing, organizing, and maintaining web-based information resources.
**Service**: Network, collaborate and actively participate in local, regional, national, or international organizations regarding information and reference service, information literacy and instruction, collection development, and/or assigned subjects and disciplines. Represent and promote the University of Miami Libraries in local, state-wide, regional, national, or international organizations as appropriate.Serve on/participate in University organizations, committees, task forces, and teams as appropriate. Serve on library committees, task forces, and teams as appropriate.
**SALARY AND BENEFITS**: Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a non-tenure track faculty appointment at the Librarian Assistant/ Associate Professor rank. The position offers a comprehensive benefits package including: TIAA-CREF; medical and dental insurance; life, disability, and long-term care insurance available; tuition remission; 13 paid holidays; and 22 days annual vacation. Additional employment benefits available include credit union; Employee Assistance Program; bookstore, and sporting event discounts; optional fee-based membership in a state-of-the-art wellness center, and no state or local income taxes. More information on benefits can be found at: http://www.miami.edu/benefits/pdf/bensum-faculty06.pdf.
**APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS:** Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications and nominations will be accepted until a suitable candidate is selected. Applications should be submitted electronically and must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and the names of three references. The references will not be contacted before the appropriate time. Send nominations and applications to:
Anna Stoute, Head of Education and Outreach
Otto G. Richter Library
University of Miami
P.O. Box 248214
Coral Gables, FL 33124-0320
Email: [log in to unmask]
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
The University has a strong commitment to diversity and encourages
applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/12952/