Head of Digital Initiatives
Utah State University
Utah State University Libraries seeks an innovative, collaborative, and highly
organized Head of Digital Initiatives to lead digital collection and scholarly
communication services that support the research and teaching needs of the
University. Reporting to the Director for Digital and Information Technology,
the successful candidate will direct the Libraries' digital initiatives
programs, including the Digital Library and Digital Commons institutional
repository. This is a 12-month, tenure-track faculty position at the rank of
either Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian dependent upon
* Create and lead evolving digital services in alignment with the Libraries' mission.
* Guide the development and implementation of digital asset and data management strategies, policies, standards, and procedures.
* Oversee, in collaboration with Special Collections & Archives curatorial staff, the creation of digital collections based on the Libraries' significant special collections materials, and the University's archival holdings.
* Oversee, in collaboration with Scholarly Communication staff, subject librarians, faculty, and others, the creation of institutional repository collections based on the University's scholarly output.
* Lead a department of faculty librarians and classified staff, providing training, supervision, and mentoring.
* Work with appropriate staff to create, maintain and improve the Libraries' local and hosted digital services (currently CONTENTdm and bepress Digital Commons).
* Provide leadership for cross-departmental digital projects within the Libraries.
* Act as the Libraries' representative for digitization and metadata projects with other University teams and/or campus groups as appropriate.
* Continually seek to enhance discovery, sustainability, and usability of the Libraries' assets.
* Work cross-departmentally to support discovery, access, management, storage, and preservation of the Libraries' digital assets and resources.
* Maintain in-depth knowledge in the identification, assessment, storage, and preservation of the Libraries' digital assets and resources.
* Engage in national and consortial efforts in the digital library domain, and seek mutually beneficial partnerships and collaborations with appropriate partners.
* Contribute to developments in the field of digital librarianship through active professional engagement, research, presentation, and publishing in appropriate venues.
* Maintain in-depth knowledge of intellectual property and copyright issues that pertain to creating digital collections.
* Work collegially to achieve the Library's mission and strategic goals.
* Contribute to the smooth operation of a service-oriented library and positive, healthy work environment.
* Cooperate in library-wide initiatives and serve on committees, project teams, and task forces.
* Serve as a subject librarian to one or more academic disciplines.
* ALA accredited MLS/MLIS degree or accepted equivalent.
* Experience in creating and providing access to research and scholarly materials in digital form.
* Minimum of three years of progressively responsible library management experience.
* Demonstrated knowledge of digital initiatives and scholarly communication issues in an academic library.
* Significant experience of digital standards and best practices for digital capture, scanning, metadata creation, digital preservation, and copyright laws.
* Highly effective communication skills, including listening, writing, and speaking.
* Demonstrated problem solving skills.
* Ability to set and follow through on both individual and team priorities.
* Ability to meet the university's requirements for promotion and tenure.
* Project management experience and demonstrated success in working collaboratively with a variety of constituencies.
* Experience working with and digitizing content for an academic special collections or archives department.
* Experience writing, implementing, or administering digital preservation policies or programs.
* Understanding of issues surrounding collecting, hosting, and preserving born-digital material.
* Experience with CONTENTdm and/or bepress Digital Commons.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/13005/