Digital Publishing Specialist
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online
services, magazines, research, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly has been
a chronicler and catalyst of leading-edge development, homing in on the
technology trends that really matter and galvanizing their adoption by
amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future.
An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long
history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
The **Digital Publishing Specialist** plays a key support role in O'Reilly's
Publishing Services division. Working within the Tools group, the Specialist
provides support for production staff through all stages of their workflow,
assists authors and editors in preparing content for production, and maintains
and improves tools used within production and across the company for access to
and manipulation of book files and other content. We're looking for someone
who is bright, self-motivated, passionate about publishing, and eager to learn
new technologies and next-generation publishing workflows. Prior programming
experience a huge plus, but willing to train the right
We are looking for this person to be based at our office in Cambridge, MA.
• Convert book content among multiple file formats using scripts and
• Provide support for production staff, editorial staff, and authors in use of
• Fulfill internal and external requests for content and customizations
• Assist production staff in automating batch editing tasks
• Monitor and respond to support queue
• Perform quality control checks on author manuscripts
• Troubleshoot production issues to ensure timely release of books
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong ability and desire to learn new technologies.
• Ability to multitask, adapt to changing workflows and tools, and engage in
creative problem solving.
• Experience in troubleshooting and problem solving in a deadline-driven
• Experience with (X)HTML5, CSS, XML, XSLT, or strong willingness to learn.
• Experience with version control systems (git/GitHub preferred).
• Experience with ebook development/production (EPUB, Mobi) a big plus.
• Proficient in one or more scripting languages (Ruby or Python preferred), or
a strong aptitude for programming and a willingness to learn.
• Attention to detail.
• Service orientation toward helping others use technology to accomplish their
• Strong written communication skills and an ability to explain technical
information to a non-technical audience.
• 1-3 years professional experience preferred
• Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience)
• Related experience in a technology or publishing organization
Please send us your cover letter and resume by going to
[http://jobs.oreilly](http://jobs.oreilly), and click on the position.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/13256/